Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uncaught Exception: mainproc.cpp, DeviceIOControl ...

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Uncaught Exception: mainproc.cpp, DeviceIOControl ...
June 17, 2010 04:34AM
Thu Jun 17 10:16:29 BST 2010

Hi,

Please see attached.

This has been happening with the latest version. Only recourse is a reboot.
The error occurs on attempting to restart PB.

Update: Thu Jun 17 10:45:07 BST 2010

This appears to be Issue #212.

A couple questions:

1) Would it be possible to add additional tracing to see exactly where this is failing? eg Main_OnTray() or Main_OnVisible()?

2) Would it be possible to narrow down which system resource is failing and to add a debug statement eg
"requesting <<{size}>> of system resource <<{resource}>>.. Failed to allocate as only <<{size}>> available."

Cheers

Cheers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 04:55AM by fsb.
Attachments:
open | download - PB_exception_17-06-2010_10-16-46.png (8.3 KB)
Re: Uncaught Exception: mainproc.cpp, DeviceIOControl ...
June 17, 2010 12:40PM
If you could post the peerblock.log file from C:\Program Files\PeerBlock, that would be helpful.  That will contain more info as to what's going on at the time of the failure.

The problem is coming from our call from the user-mode app to the kernel-mode driver.  The OS itself is the one giving us that error-message, and doesn't provide any additional details on its own.  Are you running XP?  If so we can turn up driver tracing to get some additional debug data out of the driver (and/or log some additional messages, if you'd be willing to run a test version), but I have yet to get that working on our Vista/7 driver. 

I believe the most likely problem we're having here is allocating from the "NonPaged Pool", a special chunk of kernel memory that the OS will never swap out of memory and into the pagefile.  (I believe this is the only system resource we're significantly consuming.)  Even if you have lots of memory in your system, this pool size is pretty small.  The most likely problem here would be some driver on your system leaking NonPaged Pool memory, or else fragmenting it such that the (relatively) large contiguous chunk of it we need to allocate can't be found.

I suspect that the root cause of this problem is actually some other software on your machine, as the problem only appears to exist on certain people's machines.  (And usually on machines with extremely small amounts of RAM.)  I have never been able to reproduce this on any of the machines / VMs in my house, and given how few (relative to the size of our install base) of our users have reported this problem I wouldn't think the root-cause is likely to be PeerBlock itself.

Question, what Firewall / Antivirus software do you use?  Would you be willing to try an "experiment", of (at least temporarily) switching over to a different set of them?  My machines all have either Comodo or ZoneAlarm for firewalls and Avast for antivirus; if switching over to those makes the problem go away, that would obviously point a finger of blame at one of those two that you're using.  (And if the problem occurs, it would of course exonerate them.)

Thanks, and I'm sorry you're getting bit by this problem,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
June 17, 2010 03:44PM
Okay, I've now been able to get driver trace-logging working under Windows Vista/7, so regardless of which version you're using we should be able to look into this some more.  Just let me know which OS rev (and 64- or 32-bit) you're running so I can generate a special test-build for you, along with some instructions for collecting the data we'll need to move forward with this issue.

---  Mark  ---

June 17, 2010 05:19PM
Okay, so here's what you're going to need to do in order to collect additional data for us:

On Windows Vista/7, you're going to need to enable driver-tracing:

a.  Open regedit.exe, and navigate down to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
b.  If a key called "Debug Print Filter" does NOT exist under "Session Manager" create this Key (don't put the quotes in the name of the actual Key you create, of course)
c.  In the "...\Control\Session Manager\Debug Print Filter" key, create a new REG_DWORD value called "IHVNETWORK" (again, without the quotes - and yes, that's in all Caps, with the first letter being a capital i (as in, the letter after H and before J)).  Set this IHVNETWORK's value to 2.
d.  Reboot

Now run through steps 1-8 from this forum-post.  Make sure to upload both the output-file from the DebugView tool discussed in that post as well as a peerblock.log file from that same run of PeerBlock.  Once I get some baseline data, I'll see what kind of additional tracing messages might be helpful, then generate a special test-build for you to try.

If you're up for a challenge, I'd also love to see the "Nonpaged Pool" data described in Microsoft KB Article 177415.  Once you have Nonpaged Pool displayed and sorted by bytes used, hopefully that'll show something using a whole slew of this memory.  (PeerBlock will show up as pool-tag "PG20" here (as well as a smaller "PBPt"), in case you're wondering - it's consuming just a bit over 4.7 MB on my machine with the dozen or so lists I'm currently using.)

---  Mark  ---

Anonymous User
January 17, 2011 03:12PM
Build Number 31011060517
file .\updatelists.cpp
line 1778
type: clas win32_error
Function: DeviceIoControl
Errorcode:1450
Message: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

I uninstalled, installed a new install of 1.1 , still same thing. shut down a bunch of services, rebooted, still same error. sad smiley
Anonymous User
May 19, 2013 01:08PM
Exact same issue... I have "uninstalled" and re-installed PeerBlock several times within this past 3 days and "No Go". This 'just' started happening on Thursday, May 16 2013 around 11.30 pm PST.

Thanks folks,

igneous1
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (50.3 KB)
Anonymous User
May 19, 2013 01:12PM
Just started getting this "Uncaught Exception" error 4 days ago... 11:30pm PST. I have uninstalled and re-installed PB 1.1 4-5x's now... and it keeps occurring.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (50.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login