Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crash on startup of PeerBlock beta

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Crash on startup of PeerBlock beta
June 19, 2010 08:34AM
I heard of some crashing but I think I have the worst case:

Because PeerBlock 1.0 always crashed after updating the lists, I installed r404 (with reset of old settings) just to see that it crashes right at its start. The loading bar with title "Generating Cache List..." is showing up for a very short time, then windows crashes as if the power was unplugged (and then restarts).

System: Windows XP SP3, 1gb RAM (for sure more than half of it available)
No Firewall, no antivirus

log from peerblock only of the first two starts, the last two weren't logged (looking at the times in peerblock's log file)
No dump by peerblock, neither by windows

Had no more applications running except some drivers
Additional info: system partition is crypted by TrueCrypt (perhaps it helps)

So, see what you can do with that :-P

Edit: I ran the programm in sandbox after deleting config and backup config file. after reconfigurating i get an error, attached as "error.png".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 09:08AM by SpineEyE.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.conf (3.3 KB)
open | download - peerblock.log (15.9 KB)
open | download - error.png (17.1 KB)
open | download - sandbox-log.txt (20 KB)
Re: Crash on startup of PeerBlock beta
June 19, 2010 10:44AM
Interesting...  For some reason the third-party code we're using to read the XML-based peerblock.conf file is saying that your .conf file cannot be parsed successfully.  However, I can load your .conf file in my PeerBlock and get it to run with no problems.  I'm wondering if TrueCrypt is mangling the file-read on us somehow?  We're also seeing some "garbage" in the peerblock.log file (a bunch of NULL characters at the end of the logging) which also (along with the fact that the log didn't get written-to on the last two attempts) could imply file-operation problems.

Do you have an unencrypted data partition on which you could reinstall PeerBlock to see if that fixes things?  You could also try one of the Beta Release Portable Versions instead of doing an uninstall/reinstall as that should be easier - just unzip one of those .zip files (the XP/2000 32-bit version) into an unencrypted directory and double-click peerblock.exe to try to run it.

If PeerBlock ends up working fine on your unencrypted partition I'll see if I can set up an XP VM with a TrueCrypt-encrypted system partition to repro the problem.

Sorry you're experiencing this problem, but thanks for reporting it so we can try to fix it!

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
Re: Crash on startup of PeerBlock beta
June 21, 2010 10:45AM
yeah, working on my data partition smiling smiley
Good that i could at least push into another direction winking smiley
Gl with fixing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login