Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cn and kr block lists wont update

Posted by crazyhorse 
cn and kr block lists wont update
August 10, 2010 08:57AM
All my other lists update properly, e.g. list.iblocklist.com/ ?list=br
The update goes to "downloading" but with list.iblocklist.com/ ?list=cn and list.iblocklist.com/ ?list=kr they do not complete and I have to "abort" the update. This only started happening a few days ago.

Peerblock : PeerBlock 1.0+ (r404) - BETA RELEASE

Is there a problem with these blocklists or have I done something to stop the updates and why only cn and kr?

Attached is a zip file of peerblock.conf, peerblock.log and screendump of updating dialogue box.

Many thanks for any help.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2010 10:24AM by crazyhorse.
Attachments:
open | download - cn-kr-Update Problem.zip (148.8 KB)
Re: cn and kr block lists wont update
August 10, 2010 11:18AM
1. Make sure PeerBlock is closed
2. Go to your PeerBlock install folder ( C:\Program Files\PeerBlock )
3. Open the " lists " folder
4. Delete all the list files. ( this will cause you to have to re-download all your lists )
5. Run PeerBlock. ( only lists that are enabled will update )
6. Enable both the ' kr ' and ' cn ' lists
7. Click Check for Updates
8. They should update.
August 10, 2010 11:34AM
@ineedalifetoday
Thank you for your help.

I have just tried the steps listed but the same problem exists. All the other lists were replaced but not the cn and kr.
I am puzzled as they are coming from iblocklist and they were working a few days ago.

I have reinstalled peerblock but that didn't make any difference and I have checked my Kaspersky Internet (2011) logs as far as I can but can't find anything that gives any indication where the problem lies.

Does anyone else have a problem with these lists or is it just me?
August 10, 2010 12:01PM
Lets try this, I have set this config to think all the lists have not been updated in a very long time

1. Make sure PeerBlock is closed
2. Go to your PeerBlock install folder ( C:\Program Files\PeerBlock )
3. Open the " lists " folder
4. Delete all the list files. ( this will cause you to have to re-download all your lists )
5. Go back to your PeerBlock install folder ( C:\Program Files\PeerBlock )
6. Rename your " peerblock.conf "
7. Rename your " peerblock.conf.bak " ( the backup copy )
8. Put my conf in the PeerBlock folder
9. Run PeerBlock
10. They should update.

If it works, you can delete the renamed files.

Some people have had this issue before with other lists ( its extremely rare )
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.conf (10.4 KB)
August 10, 2010 03:04PM
I followed your instructions but no difference. The two lists are still in "downloading" mode even after a few minutes. All the others including br downloaded and updated within 30 seconds.

Any other suggestions?
August 10, 2010 04:07PM
I just tried using your peerblock.conf and it updated all your lists so you might want to wait a few days to see if it resolves itself. It could be a problem with iblocklist.

The log looks OK as well.
August 10, 2010 07:04PM
@night_stalker_z Many thanks for checking the configuration. I'll wait a few days as you suggest and see what happens.

Thank you both for your help. Keep up the great work and I look forward to the next stable version for this really good program.
August 10, 2010 08:00PM
Well I never - Problem finally solved!!

After the suggestion by night_stalker_z that iblocklist might have a problem, I went over to look in their forum. Then I found a similar problem at [iblocklist.com]

This reminded me that in trying to optimise the TCP/IP settings, I had changed a couple of the settings using 'netsh int tcp'

Using TCPOptimizer version 3.03 (http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php), I reset the values to the Windows default. Then I tried Peerblock list updates again and it worked - the cn and kr lists updates immediately!

As the OP (x_gh0sts_x) of the solution in the iblocklist forum commented, "...I'm not sure it only caused problems for only those 5 lists...", in my case those 2 lists.

So it seems that one of the settings that can be seen using "netsh int tcp show global" is stopping the two lists from correctly updating in Peerblock, but why only these two?? - Maybe someone can work out why!!

Again many thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.
August 11, 2010 03:13AM
I'm glad you solved the problem crazyhorse. You got to be careful using tcpoptimizer lots of settings that could go wrong.
Also appreciate your efforts night_stalker_z & ineedalifetoday. You guys are assets to this forum.
August 11, 2010 11:50AM
After more investigation I found that if "ECN Capability" is set, then it seems to stop the cn and kr lists downloading correctly i.e. For me it needs to be DISABLED. I tested by:

1. Delete the 2 lists
2. Set or unset the parameter
3. Re-boot the PC
4. Do a list update in Peerblock and see if the lists download

When set, the 2 lists hang on "downloading", but when disabled, the 2 lists downloaded immediately.

In CMD box wth administrator level:
netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=enabled

Using TCP Optimiser (Must be only Version 3.03 for Windows 7), I created a custom set which mirrored the "Optimised" set but with the ECN Capability parameter disabled. All other settings were set the same as for "optimised". Two screen clips are attached for printing to make it easier for everyone who has the same problem.

I still have no idea why only the two lists are affected, but now my Internet connection is faster and Peerblock seems to be quicker too!!

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can suggest the reasons why - I'm just curious.
Attachments:
open | download - TCPOpt.JPG (109.1 KB)
open | download - TCPOpt-ADV.JPG (70.8 KB)
August 11, 2010 10:59PM
Thanks for the attachments....very useful. Most of our settings are similar and I also have ECN Capability parameter disabled.
And have no issues with PB updates.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login