Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PeerBlock crashing my Windows 2003 server

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
PeerBlock crashing my Windows 2003 server
August 30, 2010 06:45AM
Hello

I have been running PeerBlock (1.0+ r404) for several months on my Windows 2003 remote server without any problem.

Yesterday morning my server crashed. After some investigation I found out that the problem was PeerBlock. No PeerBlock server runs fine. PeerBlock server crashes between minutes to few hours.

I uninstalled and reinstalled same problem. I do not allow logging so is not a log file going astray.

Question is why it crashes my machine and why now?

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Re: PeerBlock crashing my Windows 2003 server
August 30, 2010 08:16AM
Can you post your log file?

This business is binary. You're either a one or a zero.
Anonymous User
August 30, 2010 08:29AM
hi and thanks for the answer.

suppose you mean the peerblock.log

after the crash this is all it has:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logging Started...
[8/30/2010] [12:45:18.898] [01560] [TraceLog] [StartLogging] starting logging
[8/30/2010] [12:45:18.898] [01560] [mainproc] [Main_ProcessDb] Deleted history.db and peerblock.log files
[8/30/2010] [12:45:18.898] [01560] [mainproc] [Main_ProcessDb] done with 'delete' type cleanup
[8/30/2010] [12:45:18.898] [01560] [mainproc] [Main_ProcessDb] < Leaving routine.

I will be happy to look and post anything else you need.
August 30, 2010 04:12PM
Is there a peerblock.dmp file in the same folder? It should contain more information about where it crashed.
Anonymous User
August 30, 2010 05:19PM
hello thanks for the reply.

No unfortunately there is no peerblock.dmp file. I think that it is not peerblock crashing but Windows. And also there is not .dmp file from Windows either. I think that things get pretty badly whacked.

The server is in a remote server farm location so I cannot see on screen what happens as I can only access it remotely.
Anonymous User
August 30, 2010 05:28PM
one more thing. I cannot put my hand on fire on this but I think this started to happen after the latest update to uTorrent 2.0.4 build 21486. I run two instances of it concurrently. This is the only thing that changed recently.
September 01, 2010 04:12PM
Im having the same issue on Windows Server 2008.

Ive disabled PB on them and they seem to run fine. I did notice that PB is blocking some new OVH IP's and they are the IPs of teh actual servers themselves. I had to whitelist one of my servers IPs before I could access and the range was called "OVH Systems" not the anti p2p one that I usually see ie "OVH SAS | Antip2p"

This is causing many problems as I have over 30 servers and currently teh count is upto 4 that this has affected.

Is there any solution to stop this happening other then disabling PB all together?
September 01, 2010 04:16PM
@aydin1954: Could you check the Windows event log to see if there's anything which might relate to the server crashing.

@ATHEiST: There's not much we can do as the lists you subscribed to contains your server IPs. You need to add them into PeerBlock.
Anonymous User
September 01, 2010 04:35PM
I did check the event logs but unfortunately I did not see anything there that could be related to the server crashing. As I also cannot find a .dmp file I think that this happens very abruptly like a freeze/crash.

@ATHEiST: my server is also at OVH.
September 01, 2010 11:30PM
I think I may know why its doing it and a solution for OVH users.

I think the problem is that Peerblock is basically acting as a DOS attack against ourselves in a sense, because when we have our clients open we are obviously going to be bombarded with connections from other OVH servers and because of the constant blocks (there are thousands in a very short time because of the new ranges added to list) at some point our system just @#$%& itself. Im no expert but this is the only simple enough conclusion that I could come up with and seems the most likely as im 99% sure that Peerblock/lists are causing this.

The solution is to take any OVH IP and go to List Manager>P2P>View>Search and enter the IP and it should take you to the "OVH Systems" range. Now all you do is right click the range and choose "Allow Permanently" and it should be problem solved.

I havent fully tested this yet but on one of the servers that was resetting allot it hasn't happened again. uTorrent has also been turned off at same time though as im doing a complete HDD defrag on a very large drive atm which is going to take hours to complete, once that is finished I will fire uT back up and will know then if its fixed or not.

Hope this has helped you.

NOTE TO PEERBLOCK: I really think you need to warn your users about this as I would say that a massive chunk of them are OVH users and this will likely be affecting allot of people who dont really understand what problem is or how to fix it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 11:32PM by ATHEiST.
Anonymous User
September 02, 2010 02:27AM
thanks a lot ATHEiST. I checked and saw 3 OVH SAS ranges (had to scroll manually the search does not seem to work) and enabled them permanently. So now I wait and see.... will report if it crashes or not.
September 02, 2010 02:54AM
@ATHEiST: This is not our problem. This is a problem with the lists you have subscribed to. You will need to complain to the list maintainer.
Anonymous User
September 02, 2010 04:00AM
thanks for the reply. Is in the P2P list, where do we complain?

PS : So far so good server is running fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2010 04:01AM by aydin1954.
Anonymous User
September 02, 2010 04:40AM
another problem I see.... my server IP is in the block list. So this effectively reduces my peer numbers as people using PB are blocking my connection.
September 02, 2010 11:51AM
Sorry but I beg to differ, The list is included by default in your software ie the "p2p" one, And yes its not selected by default but who isn't going to select the p2p one?

And saying that it "isnt our problem" is a fu*king disgusting attitude to have to a user of the software coming into the forum for help and support and also offering a solution to other users.

I wasnt saying it was specifically PeerBlocks fault I was saying its the lists that PB uses and also simply saying that you should make it clear to your users about this new issue and how to solve it easily!

@ aydin1954

Yu dont actually ahve to do a search bud, All you need to do is paste a OVH server IP into teh search box and it will automatically take you straight to the new range "OVH Systems" then you just right click that one and allow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2010 11:53AM by ATHEiST.
September 02, 2010 12:40PM
Disgusting an attitude as it may be, there's nothing we can do about it. The lists PeerBlock "includes" are only for the users' convenience. We at the PeerBlock team have absolutely no control over what the lists contain. Therefore there's not much else we could say but to redirect that complaint to the people in control over the lists. That's just how it is.

Oh, and PeerBlock doesn't really include a single list. Only the quick ways to enable a few of the most popular lists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2010 12:41PM by Keefa.
Anonymous User
September 02, 2010 02:19PM
ok guys do not fight we all want to solve the problem :-)

I talked to fakhir and found out that the P2P list used by PeerBlock is not from I-Blocklist as I thought wrongly but from bluetack. He was very nice and helpful. Now I am on the bluetack (one of the mod could have told me this...) irc chan to see if I can get those IP ranges removed.

Also happy to report that after 12h no problems after removing the 3 ovh ranges and running PB. So I take my hat off and bow to ATHEiST.

Will keep you updated what happens.
Anonymous User
September 03, 2010 03:49AM
OK the people at bluetack are ready to remove single IP addresses when given to them but I am not sure that will solve the crash problem. I have given mine and see what happens.
September 04, 2010 02:24PM
Just to let you guys know that ive noticed that on some peerblock on my clients server the range is called "OVH Systems" and others its called "OVH SAS"

Please do not confuse this with the "OVH SAS| Antip2p" range as this is not the problem as far as I can tell.

After a server crash if you check the screen the last ones that was blocked will be one of the above I mention so go into the list and search for a OVH IP and then perm allow the whole range that includes that IP and leave the antip2p ones.
Anonymous User
September 05, 2010 09:44AM
Update, the Bluetack people removed my server's IP from the P2P list but the sever still crashes after 4 min if the OVH blocks are allowed.

Well I think that the problem is with Peerblock itself as no matter what it should not crash a machine. So I please ask to check on this. Here is the log file in case it helps after few crashes of the server
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (52.8 KB)
Anonymous User

September 05, 2010 12:34PM
Try logging blocked connections in the History.

Set:
[Log Blocked] - [Archive and Remove] - Every [1] Days
Archive to: [archives\] - History size [1] MB

Next time you crash find the most recent archive and the current history.db in the \peerblock\ folder and zip them up.

I'll try to figure out which IPs to unblock from that. Hopefully it's something simple.
Anonymous User
September 07, 2010 06:29AM
ok here is log and history.db after a new try and crash.
Attachments:
open | download - peerblock.log (80.3 KB)
open | download - history.db (44 KB)
Anonymous User

September 07, 2010 07:40PM
Try setting an allow for 91.121.139.250.
Let's see if it stops crashing with that one.
Anonymous User
September 08, 2010 07:26PM
OK that did the trick. It has now been running fine for over one hour. Before it was crashing after about 4 minutes. Will let it run and see if it keeps at it.

Would be nice to know how can one single blocked IP crash the PC....
Anonymous User

September 08, 2010 09:23PM
Check your network connection status and you'll likely find that it was your gateway or DHCP server.
Open the status dialog for that connection and in the Support tab click the Details button.
More often than not your gateway serves double duty as the DHCP server too.
Anonymous User
September 08, 2010 09:47PM
erm nope different ips for gateway and dns
Anonymous User

September 09, 2010 02:18AM
It sure does look like something local involving your operating system. it was ICMP traffic.
Ask OVH if it's one of theirs. If it isn't they've just gotten a good reason to kick somebody out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login