Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

using Peerblock with VPN connection -- who is being protected?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
using Peerblock with VPN connection -- who is being protected?
October 05, 2010 10:12PM
If I turn on Peerblock on my machine, but at the same time I connect to a VPN server, get a new IP address assigned by the server, which IP address peerblock is protecting?

Say for example, my local machine has IP address A, something like 192.168.0.1, the router I am going through has IP address B, which is assigned by the ISP, and the VPN I connected to assigns IP C to the local machine. Out of the three IP addresses, which one benefits from Peerblock?
Re: using Peerblock with VPN connection -- who is being protected?
October 05, 2010 10:44PM
The answer is . . . it depends.

PeerBlock can only filter network traffic it "sees".  So in this case, it will only see traffic heading from your local machine to/from other IP addresses.  Depending on how your VPN works, its driver could insert itself higher or lower in the networking stack than PeerBlock's filter-driver - this means that PeerBlock might see the eventual destination IP address, or it might see only that your machine is trying to connect to the VPN's IP address. 

So it's possible that your local machine would still be protected; it's also possible that PeerBlock won't be able to do anything to protect your VPN'ed connection.  The best thing to do would be to attempt to ping through that VPN connection to a "known blocked" IP address like 3.0.0.0, and see if PeerBlock catches this or not.

Hope that helps,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login