Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bluescreen on Windows 7

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Bluescreen on Windows 7
October 22, 2010 10:59AM
Hello. I'm getting random blue screens related to the ntkrnlpa.exe file but I think it's because of Peerblock beta. They happen maybe once every two weeks or so and it can be in the middle of the night when I am not doing anything on it (except that uTorrent runs 24/7). I didn't get the blue screens when I used 1.0. I today uninstalled the 2nd to most recent beta and reinstalled the new beta that just came out so I don't have the peerblock dump files I'm sorry to say. But I do have the Windodws dump files. I hope that is acceptable.

I did see a topic on this website saying that because the alpha driver is not 'verified' by Windows, I need to tell windows to not check the drivers. I did follow those directions (which where not exact) and put Windows into a 'test' mode so I think I did it correctly. But I'm still getting blue screens.

If you need any more info, please let me know. I'm at work right now so this thread might be a little vague,. If this is just something I have to deal w/ because of the alpha software, no problem. Just let me know.

Bug Check from the System Event Log:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x828ee0a5, 0x9aa1fbcc, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 102210-49656-01.

Windows7 32-bit Pro
Zone Labs Free Firewall
Symantec Anti-virus corporate edition
The latest uTorrant running 24/7
VNC running 24/7
Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.9

Thank you folks,

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 01:24PM by thearm.
Attachments:
open | download - 091310-52390-01.dmp (139.6 KB)
open | download - 100710-56828-01.dmp (139.6 KB)
open | download - 102210-49656-01.dmp (139.6 KB)
Re: Bluescreen on Windows 7
October 22, 2010 10:42PM
These dump-files all have the same fault signature: vsmon.exe (ZoneAlarm process) interacting with the Microsoft ntkrpamp.exe system driver, causing a null-pointer based access violation in that driver's IopXxxControlFile() routine.  While it's theoretically possible that we're somehow interacting with ZoneAlarm in such a way that it causes Microsoft's driver to crash the system, I know of nothing we are doing that could be causing this.

If the problem keeps happening, my recommendation would be to reinstall ZoneAlarm, or else try a different firewall - I find that Comodo's firewall works pretty well for me, personally.

Hope that helps,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
Re: Bluescreen on Windows 7
October 23, 2010 02:38PM
Noted. And thank you. I just remember on Windows XP, all of the dump files pointed to a Peer Guardian exe or a Peer Guardian dll (can't remember) as being the file at fault. Then when I switched to Windows 7, the dump files changed to what you see above. But, it sounds like you can read these dump files better than me because I never gathered that. And I find dump files very useful (Been a PC tech for many years). This one stumped me.

Ok, I'll take your advise and probably try a different firewall. And I'll test my memory modules while I'm at it. Thanks for your time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 04:24PM by thearm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login