Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stop Peerblock to update to new version?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Stop Peerblock to update to new version?
October 22, 2010 12:09PM
Hello,

I hope you can help me.

I am trying to install the new PB but the computer tells me that I can't install it whilst the old version is running. I've tried to stop it but can't find any way to do this.

Then I tried to uninstall it, then delete it, but for all of these things it tells me to stop it running first, which I cannot figure out how to do!

Please help!
Thanks
Re: Stop Peerblock to update to new version?
October 22, 2010 12:14PM
Right click on tray icon and click exit.
Anonymous User
October 22, 2010 04:01PM
I can't see an "exit"! Only "Peerblock", "Pin this program to taskbar", and "close window". "Close window" doesn't stop it running, according to the computer.

Oh dear!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 04:02PM by unch.
Anonymous User

October 22, 2010 07:41PM
Press Control-Alt-Delete. A window will open. Go to the Processes tab, right-click on protowall.exe and "End Process".
October 22, 2010 10:11PM
The "systray" is actually the area with the little tiny icons in it, to the lower-right of your screen, immediately to the left of the clock.  If you right-click on that PeerBlock icon, you'll see the option to Exit the program.  Or kill it with the Task Manager as Aaron.Walkhouse said, just look for "peerblock.exe" not "protowall.exe".

Hmm, we should really write up a new FAQ on this, since it seems to truly be a Frequently Asked Question . . . and we should look into ways of safely permitting the installer to shut down previously-existing instances of PeerBlock, too.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
October 23, 2010 05:26AM
Thanks! I can't believe I didn't think of trying "end task". That's what I did when I couldn't stop PG.

I finally got the new version installed, and it seems to have solved my "uncaught error". PB was never in my systray until now with the newer version.

Including this in FAQ would save a lot of trouble for people I imagine.
October 23, 2010 05:30AM
Out of curiosity, what OS were you using, Windows 7 64-bit?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login