Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Suggestion : Yellow systray-icon when "HTTP is Allowed"

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Suggestion : Yellow systray-icon when "HTTP is Allowed"
September 22, 2009 04:46AM
Hello all , first post here .

Have used PG2 for years , now with PB , following its developments .
Congratulations to the PB team and community for what have been achieved so far .

Suggestion : to have the systray icon coloured yellow when "HTTP is Allowed" ,

-- this would be very similar to the actual (very useful) red coloured icon when PB is "Disabled" -- .

Reason : it is easy to forget you have exceptionally set the option "Allow HTTP" ,
(I have already been infected twice because unintentionally left this option enabled) .
Re: Suggestion : Yellow systray-icon when "HTTP is Allowed"
September 22, 2009 05:58AM
Sounds like a good idea to me smiling smiley

Beta Testing Rig: Windows 10 x64 Pro 1803, AMD Ryzen 2700X, 16GB DDR4 @ 3400MHz CL14, Avast! Free Antivirus
Anonymous User
September 22, 2009 12:10PM
Yellow Icon would be nice, and I would also like a "Time Delay" setting to reset the "HTTP" back to "Block HTTP", kinda like 30min to 1hr.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 12:11PM by LarryLaser.
September 22, 2009 01:28PM
Great ideas, both of them.  Thanks for the suggestions!

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
September 22, 2009 01:43PM
Sort of like this.
Attachments:
open | download - pg2_hne.zip (1.8 KB)
September 22, 2009 07:40PM
Yeah, i like DarC's one, and i really like the idea of giving a delay and then switching back to blovking http, it's a common problem for me; i forget to switch it back on!!! pretty pointless running PB if it's off!!! :$
September 23, 2009 11:18PM
In order to track these suggestions (and make sure we don't inadvertently forget about them), I added Issue #120 for the Yellow Icon suggestion, and Issue #121 for "Temporarily allow HTTP". Make sure to "star" these issues if you're interested in them, as that's one of the factors we use to prioritize what to work on.  Definitely won't get to them before this weekend's PeerBlock 1.0 release, but we'll look into them in the post-1.0 timeframe.

---  Mark  ---

March 10, 2010 02:49PM
Hi,

Nicely done. However, that would be nice that in the context menu the correct option
would be checked when enabled.

Currently if you enable the allow http 15 min. or 60 min. option in the context menu
the "Allow Http" option is checked.

This is wrong. Whatever option you selected is the one that should have the check mark.

The secondary benefit of doing this correctly means if you choose the same option
again it get's disabled instead of starting over.

Thanks,

Will
March 10, 2010 05:33PM
Hm, I think of it more as a executing a Command rather than selecting an Option - you're instructing the tool to flip the Allow HTTP option for 15/60 minutes.  However, given that you've expressed annoyance with this behavior - and another user was confused by this behavior as reported in a different thread - we could probably do better. 

What I'm thinking might make the most sense would be to have the "Allow HTTP" option updated to include a countdown timer - both in the right-click menu as well as on the main UI itself.  For example, after clicking the "Allow HTTP for 15 min" command the "Allow HTTP" option turns into "Allow HTTP (15)".  One minute later, this turns into "Allow HTTP (14)", etc.  Clicking on "Allow HTTP for 15 min" again would then more obviously reset the countdown timer.

Alternatively to changing the text on the "Allow HTTP" button on the main UI, it might make more sense to change that text from "HTTP is Allowed" to "HTTP is Allowed for X min" in this case.

Might these options make a bit more sense?

---  Mark  ---

fxm
March 10, 2010 05:37PM
MarkSide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> turns into "Allow HTTP (15)".  One minute later,

LOL

Given the general attention span, how many minutes will it be until there is a post here saying "the number doesn't change".
Anonymous User
March 11, 2010 03:06PM
Hi Mark

Glad to see you're taking the users suggestions seriously,
so many developers seem to work in isolation,
but when everybody contributes the resulting package is so much better.

Hope the improvements WAR and I suggest could become part of the next release.

Thanks again
Keep up the great development work and keep the nosey RIAA and the likes out of our business

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 03:06PM by jonno2001.
May 05, 2010 09:39PM
That's just it though. PB shows check boxes next to the "command" as if that is the option that is currently enabled.

So that would still be misleading, but I like it showing the time remaining though.
May 07, 2010 10:18AM
I think that for now changing the right-click menu to check e.g. "Allow HTTP for 15 min" will be both the least confusing for users, as well as the simplest to implement from our end.  We'll make that change soon, along with the option to manually edit your .conf if you want to disable the yellow "warning" icon (as many people apparently wish to do).

---  Mark  ---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 10:19AM by MarkSide.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login