Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Allow (or Block) Temporarily : takes ages to be operational

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Allow (or Block) Temporarily : takes ages to be operational
September 22, 2009 10:50AM
When you select an URL to be Allowed (or Blocked) for 15 min or one hour , it takes a long time to rebuild the Cache (when you have a large one) , so making this important feature not practical .

As a suggestion , that temporary action for the URL could be stored in a "temporary cache" (or something like) , that would have priority over the actual Cache on the search , thus avoiding it to be rebuild .

That "temporary cache" would not need to be saved to disk .

(I know this is system design , but as i sad , it is useless the way it is now) .
Re: Allow (or Block) Temporarily : takes ages to be operational
September 22, 2009 02:50PM
what do you consider "a long time"? My system is currently (at this moment) blocking 756,176,993 IPs and the cache barely takes 10-12 seconds to build. The machine i'm on isn't the fastest, but it's not slow either, so i'm wondering what your building time is

This is my Signature!
Anonymous User
September 22, 2009 05:06PM
Hello,

As ss18 said, it is dependant on the size of your block file('s) that you use and also on your system.

I run a series of block files on different systems for different reasons. On my main system (which is my 2nd most powerful system), I run 3 files, (2 of them [permallow & permblock] and the main I build), my main is 2,681,116,379 blocked IPs. and it only takes 3 secs to generate the cache, any time I make changes.
This always has to do with mainly your systems capabilities and also with the size of the file set you choose.
September 22, 2009 06:26PM
Yup, all good points. From my own perspective, I actually find it obnoxious when I need to wait as PeerBlock rebuilds its list-cache over and over and over.  I'm not a patient man!  Issue 20 tracks our plans to look into optimizing the list-cache generation; on top of that I'd like to generate the list-cache as a background activity and "jumpswitch" the driver over to the new list once it's regenerated, and also would like to implement something like what JRF suggested.

I actually don't think the temporary allow/block lists should be forcing a list-cache regeneration though, currently.  Permanent changes do in fact cause the list-cache to be regenerated - and this is where my annoyance comes into play - but temporary ones should not be.  If you are seeing the "Generating List Cache" window popup after temporarily allowing/blocking an IP-address, that is a bug!!

Are you sure you're seeing this behavior for temporary allow/blocks?

Thanks for the feedback,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
September 22, 2009 07:18PM
Thanks Mark for responding , and you are right , I do *not* see the popup for Cache-List-rebuild when changes are temporary , I was confused by the "shadow" of the last popup (the one were the change was requested) that keeps over the PB window , during the time it takes to implement the change (ftr , I think this is OK for my not so great system , as this process seems to use much CPU) .

Thanks also for ss18 and LarryLaser for the replies .

I agree with you both (and could not be different) : the building time of the Cache list is dependent on the lists size , the machine power , and the CPU load .

The point on my post was so *not* related to these factors , as they are always going to exist in different combinations , for each user environment (e.g. see the resolution times reported in the replies above) .

I emphasize this has never been reported as a PB bug , as it will happen for any mechanism like this .

However I would like the development team could appreciate my suggestion , in the very optimization line Mark referred to (thanks for his attention) .

I used something similar on programs dealing with large volumes , and envisage that for this PB case , as it is just about temporary changes , the time spent to process another short list (only in memory , and not needed to be recorded) would be very low , not degrading the search process .

And (this is the suggestion core) the time to have the (Allow/Block) changes operational would then be almost instantaneous , much less dependent of the CPU (power and load) , and independent of the list size.
September 24, 2009 04:23AM
Yep, don't worry, we'll definitely look into this as part of Issue #20 once we get there. Make sure you "star" that issue if you want to make sure it gets attention sooner rather than later!

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login