Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Allow Auto Hack 0.0.0.0.68

Posted by rioboy123 
Allow Auto Hack 0.0.0.0.68
February 07, 2011 04:12PM
Hi

I have just noticed allow auto hack has appered on peer block 'allowed' list? does anyone have an idea what this is? am i being hacked by someone? do i allow it or block the address?

thanks
Re: Allow Auto Hack 0.0.0.0.68
February 07, 2011 07:42PM
I have never heard of such a thing but sense it is an auto "hack" I'd block it.
February 07, 2011 09:18PM
Maybe,it is "0.0.0.0:68" (0.0.0.0(local) ,port 68).

>what this is
Do you google it before you ask a question? smiling smiley
[encrypted.google.com]

February 07, 2011 09:29PM
The "Auto-allow hack" is so that PeerBlock can check for updates on start-up, as certain lists prevent PeerBlock from being able to update.

It's completely safe.
February 08, 2011 04:38PM
The auto allow hack is so that PeerBlock can start blocking without needing an internet connection and checking for updates at startup when PeerBlock is launched.

Otherwise you have to manually check for updates before PeerBlock starts working.

The IP is safe to allow so you shouldn't block it.
March 18, 2013 06:53PM
well if it is ok why is it my peerblock is blocking it?
Anonymous User
January 14, 2014 09:13PM
It IS NOT SAFE! It causes my router, and my modem to loose the DNS, and disconnect. (wireless)
When I am playing "DEFIANCE" (TRION game,) the game will lockup, (I quickly switch my view to my second monitor,) and low and behold, I see the "Auto-allow hack" scrolling by, (timeing is an exact match!) while my router is scrambling to find the server.. If this is being done by Peerblock, I will have to remove the program. (When the program is not enabled, the game works fine..) I have the program set NOT to auto update, (I rather do it my self any way,) but it is still trying to do it any way.

STOP, DESIST, AND CEASE THIS ACTION!
Anonymous User
January 14, 2014 09:17PM
The function for Peerblock to update is not called a HACK!, it is called; "Auto allow for updating" at IP:69.72.235.243
not 0.0.0.0:68 (yes, that is a port address of 68.) and you can not block it! (it does no effect at all to block it.)
Anonymous User
January 14, 2014 11:58PM
I figured you, (no one in part and fact,) would believe me, and my statements, and it was not until I submitted it that I notices there was an "Attach" link, so I am adding to my post, and including 2 photo's (JPG) of the output. (Just for your info.) So I will be uninstalling this, as I am an IT Teck, (Security) and I have traced the problem to the program it's self. I figure that, considering you have a paid version available, this is nothing more than the program trying to allow a connection for sales reasons.

I enjoyed the time I had with this, your program is worth a purchase, however I have donated many times in the past (via PayPal,) to show my appreciation, and I figure we had a good run.

I am doubtful you'll allow this post, but if you do not, I am still grateful for the year's service, and I wish you the best. I would like to point out, the price is not (in my opinion,) decent, as with all software, being sold today, they are greatly over priced. My reasoning is simple, there are 300 Million people in the US, (7 Billion world wide,) and if you charged only $1.00 each, with a 1/3rd sales, that would amount to $100 Million just in the US alone. I think that is a fair enough amount for anyone, asking more is sheer greed, and that I am against. (Consider 1/3rdx$1.00 of 7Bill!) Either way, it's more than enough for the few hours of codeing it took to build. (If it took more than a week, it's still a dam good salary!)
The major problem in the US is the "Fundamental Idea" that one should get rich with as little a work as possible.
(The rest is Government, Insurance, and Interest.)
January 15, 2014 12:44AM
The 0.0.0.0 "Auto allow hack" was a workaround night_stalker_z had come up with to work around a problem in which PeerBlock would otherwise not block at startup unless you let it update itself.  We'll work on seeing what we can do to come up with another way of addressing this issue in the future.

As far as subscriptions go, this is not a get-rich-quick scheme.  We don't have 300 million users, and even if we did it's highly unlikely that very many of them would be willing to pitch in even a dollar - and to me, forcing people to purchase a subscription is far more draconian than what we've implemented.  Instead, if you want to get unlimited list-updates, you can pitch in to help offset the costs of supporting those who are unwilling or unable to pay that small amount.  If you're unable or unwilling to purchase an I-Blocklist Subscription, your lists are still able to update once per week.

Is it a perfect solution?  Of course not, nothing is.  However we really have tried to make this fair all around.  We're a very small team, operating on a shoestring budget.  We don't have huge industry benefactors standing behind us, don't have corporate clients forking over huge amounts of professional services money.  And yet we have bills, and those bills need to be paid.

Sorry to lose you as a user.  I personally believe that software like PeerBlock is a great layer to everyone's PC security, and it's a shame that you won't be helping to protect yourself due to ideological differences - even lists that update once per week is far better protection than no lists at all.

Take care,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
fxm
January 15, 2014 08:01AM
softheart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> When I am playing "DEFIANCE" (TRION game,) the
> game will lockup,

You evidently have a list that is blocking the server(s) and have not installed the allow list for that publisher.

Your rant about 0.0.0.0:68 has nothing whatever to do with that.

BTW: it is puzzling to me that an "IT Teck, (Security)" does not recognize DHCP traffic.
January 15, 2014 11:47AM
MarkSide Wrote:
> The 0.0.0.0 "Auto allow hack" was a workaround
> night_stalker_z had come up with to work around a
> problem in which PeerBlock would otherwise not
> block at startup unless you let it update
> itself.  We'll work on seeing what we can do to
> come up with another way of addressing this issue
> in the future.
>
> As far as subscriptions go, this is not a
> get-rich-quick scheme.  We don't have 300 million
> users, and even if we did it's highly unlikely
> that very many of them would be willing to pitch
> in even a dollar - and to me, forcing people to
> purchase a subscription is far more draconian than
> what we've implemented.  Instead, if you want to
> get unlimited list-updates, you can pitch in to
> help offset the costs of supporting those who are
> unwilling or unable to pay that small amount.  If
> you're unable or unwilling to purchase an
> I-Blocklist Subscription, your lists are still
> able to update once per week.
>
> Is it a perfect solution?  Of course not, nothing
> is.  However we really have tried to make this
> fair all around.  We're a very small team,
> operating on a shoestring budget.  We don't have
> huge industry benefactors standing behind us,
> don't have corporate clients forking over huge
> amounts of professional services money.  And yet
> we have bills, and those bills need to be paid.
>
> Sorry to lose you as a user.  I personally
> believe that software like PeerBlock is a great
> layer to everyone's PC security, and it's a shame
> that you won't be helping to protect yourself due
> to ideological differences - even lists that
> update once per week is far better protection than
> no lists at all.
>
> Take care,
>
>         ---  Mark  ---

Well this is interesting to me because this past week my peerblock is also not blocking on startup. It seems to only be the case if peerblock is loaded before i'm connected to my network. In otherwords if peerblock loads before the red x on the network icon in task bar goes away it doesn't block any http until i close and restart it.

Could this be related? In other words its because its not updating first? I would feel alot safer If i could load peerblock to instantly start blocking before my internet connection loads for obvious reasons...

Rich.
January 15, 2014 06:10PM
you could like me just start PB manually first then connect to the internet, that's what i do then from the get go PB is working.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
fxm
January 16, 2014 03:21PM
fxm Wrote:
> softheart Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>

> 0.0.0.0:68

It belatedly occurs to me to point out that if you have installed the bogon or iana list(s), PB may be blocking DHCP messages to/from your router/network; doing that may kill your connection sooner or later.
January 21, 2014 12:39PM
brandonjm8 Wrote:
> you could like me just start PB manually first
> then connect to the internet, that's what i do
> then from the get go PB is working.

Thats actually what was causing the problem. Apparenlty if PB was not updated when it started it would not block anything. But this has been fixed for me with the latest peerblock update. All is well now, even if PB is loaded before my internet connection. I just make sure to click check updates manually everyday and set it back to autocheck once a day.

To the OP, as for his game not working. What you have to do is alt tab out of the game as it is loading, and then see what is being blocked by PB that relates to the game and right click to permanently allow those IP's.

For example I play Star Trek Online, and sometimes when loading a new area I will lose connection or crash. But I tab to the desktop and see Cryptic Studios is being blocked, so I allow those IP's and then all is fine. It can be tedious, but Eventually you will allow all the IP's you need to play the game and you won't have to keep doing it anymore.

With games games with dedicated server browsers, usually they will actually list the IP that you need to allow. Just like you do with any old firewall, when you prefer not to just let a program connect to anything.

I do the same with all my security programs that need to be updated. I permanently allow the IP addresses that are needed in peerblock, and keep peerblock running at all times, And just manually check for updates everyday to be on safe side and keep the lists up to date. It can be tedious, especially when blocking all HTTP, but I also have a firewall that puts a popup on desktop listing what program and ip address peerblock has blocked which really helps.

Hope this helps.

Rich.
Anonymous User
January 22, 2014 08:51PM
It is to my deepest heart felt apologies to these people who actually wrote the program, (I have had ever sense it was called "Peer Guardian,") for my comments, I meant no harm, and I did not intend to make any one upset, nor did I have any malice, or ill intent. My post was strictly for the true programmers, and not the members of the forum, (I got this site from the contact us link,) it is apparent, I must have clicked the wrong link somehow, as there are people who have responded that I am not sure have any affiliation with PeerBlock, or they may be some new blood in the long line of people working on this fine program. (I never said it was bad,)

As for the $1.00 per copy, well, I have been in many fields, areas, and advertisement businesses, from silk screening to commercials, and there are several things you can do to achieve the goal I stated. There are many company's who offer $1.99 up to $5.99 software programs, (I used to have a subscription to one of these,) as I have bought over 3,000 programs from these vendors when I had my computer business for a 15 year period. (A divorce ended that!) This is how I know for a fact it can be done, as it has been, and still is being done today. These company's pay out the $1.00 to the software developer, and keep the $0.99 to profit, (or visa/versa,) or an agreed set sum made under a contract, and these people have been making money hand over fist for over 20 years now.

As for the person who said that it was a work around, I think not, at least I would rather here it from the horses mouth, as I do not speak for any one but myself, and yes, as an IT tech, I did in fact check the DHCP, that is not the issue.
What I did find, (2 days later after uninstalling PB,) is there seems to be some kind of "Coinciding" incident between PB, and DEFIANCE, which I believe is a simple error, not to be attributed to any ones fault! As it is apparent, BOTH programs use "PORT:68" and my reason for doubting that Night_Stalker wrote the "work-around", (Unless he games on defiance, then he is in serious doo doo!) is a simple "Phrase" likeness between the two programs. I did upload photo's, and if you will notice, there are TWO statements, which appear to be similar, except the last word is indifferent.
Now, I am not saying Night_Stalker did not write it, but I suspect he did not, (hopefully,) as the other statement reads: "Auto-Allow UPDATE" (I would figure he wrote that!) and the problem child is "Auto-Update HACK" (I would not think a professional would use the term hack, but it's very well possible..) As it turns out, I used the windows firewall, (I am not a Microsoft fan, but I am very well familiar with it.) to block (all connections to it, i.e., udp, tcp, dhcp, telnet, etc, etc,) and I have 6 members in the group I play online with, 3 to do the same, and 3 not. As of late, the 3 that is blocking this port is having no problem with the game, the 3 that did not, is still having serious problems, only the 3 that are blocking the port, knows any thing, (but not about PB, as I wanted a fair result,) so I have came to the conclusion it's a simple issue of two programs trying to share the same port. (Along with the very likely issue of an exploit in the game, as the game uses port 68 to update.)
January 24, 2014 10:41PM
Well, as per my sig, I actually am the lead developer of PeerBlock, have been since I forked it from the abandoned PG2 code back in the day.  So yes, this is as straight from the horse's mouth as it comes!  smiling smiley

The code in question is as follows:

if (g_config.UpdateAtStartup && g_config.LastUpdate < g_config.LastStarted )
    {
        TRACEI("[mainproc] [Main_OnInitDialog]    updating at startup");

{
            mutex::scoped_lock lock(g_lastupdatelock);
            UpdateLists(hwnd); // needs internet connection
        }

LoadLists(hwnd);
    }
    else if(g_filter) // HACK: This should allow us to block at startup, even if we don't update
    {
        TRACEI("[mainproc] [Main_OnInitDialog]    not updating at startup");
        p2p::list allow;
        allow.insert(p2p::range(L"Auto-allow hack", 0, 0));
        allow.optimize(true);
        g_filter->setranges(allow, false);
    }
To the best of my recollection (I haven't done an "svn blame" on the files to verify), night_stalker_z was in fact the guy who originally put that code in there.  I don't know if you remember the problems PG2 had with blocking on startup, but this was one of the fixes that resolved that for us.  Note that it is a true "hack" . . . meaning it is a gross, disgusting workaround; not the sort of "hack" that involves people "hacking" into systems.

And yes, as hacks like this are meant to be temporary workarounds and replaced with cleaner code once the developer gets around to it, we will see what we can do to resolve this a different way going forward.  Or at a minimum, remove that auto-allowed 0.0.0.0 IP address after blocking has started working again.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
January 29, 2014 08:59PM
the DHCP does not affect the game. (both peerblock and the game aparently are trying to use the same port #68 for the same reason, (updating) as security, the DHCP is not an issue with the peerblock, I think it only affects the TCP/UDP and I see no port blocking avialability. And, Who are you? (names in the credits of building Peerblock/portblock, PeerGuardian, which is your name?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012