Advanced

Update expand!

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Update expand!
May 07, 2011 07:28AM
Hi *.*

daily updates will not work!

I have experienced in several forums and through e-mail contacts, eg the hourly update, etc. are not tolerated because of traffic!
How about a kind of intelligent update feature.
As a proposal of mine:
Update function works every hour, remembers Installation update if possible and executes it. If not possible Updater Installation update moves to the next hour and created a plan update. Ellen you can set whether a block list can be updated hourly interval 1-2-3-4 etc..
On some sites you can only download with code word in the download link block list. Example. www. ... .com / code = test / list.txt or something like that. In the configuration option should be possible by giving the code word and validity. So which one is regularly informed, if the expires and valid code word by a dialog to prompt new.

I hope with the help of Google Translate, the problem of update function to represent to some extent.

With friendly greeting

Zer04Nine
Re: Update expand!
May 08, 2011 01:53PM
Hey Zer04Nine,

Apologies if I am repeating what you already know/have said, Just trying to help out - Go0gle was fine, just a little difficult to understand.

...Are you aware there are two auto-update features?

There is "Update as startup," which checks your lists when you open peerblock, if you set peerblock to run at startup (even with lists disabled) you will always have the latest updates for your current session.

Also, there is a reoccurring update feature, "Auto-update every:," which checks the lists for you (unfortunatly this is a minimuim of 1day as you noted).

- To find/activate these settings, got to the "Settings" tab, Click "Next ->" (found at the bottom-right), Click the boxes, "Save" (found at the bottom-left), and your done.

Other than this, I can only suggest you manually "Check Updates," when you feel it necessary when browsing/torrenting etc...
One recommendation I make for doing this, is to turn off checking for PeerBlock updates, as this takes much longer then quickly checking for list updates... as there are rarely PeerBlock updates you have nothing to worry about, in addition to PeerBlock being next to bugless. So if you do it like this then just checking there are no updates is basically instant.

Seemingly, just be aware that the reason (other than sever traffic) that there are not shorter intervals for lists that... well lists just aren’t updated that often. - If you are having issues with all different sources of your lists updating sporadically, I suggest you use the following site for tracking updates for your lists:

[www.iblocklist.com]

Please subscribe if you find the site useful, it is not much, and it keeps our love and use of PeerBlock alive and active.

I hope you can use this information to continue to find PeerBlock useful.

Good-Luck,
JobHouse

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2011 02:07PM by JobHouse.
Anonymous User
May 09, 2011 12:46PM
Hi JobHouse,

thanks for the information! But in general, does not an option
Updates! Every day updates manually sucks @#$%&. Why the update function was programmed that does not really!

With friendly greetings

Zer04Nine

PS: Option enabled...
... Check Peerblock
... Check Lists
... Auto-update every [ 1 ] Days
... Update at startup operating system - Windows Home Server 2003

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 12:48PM by Zer04Nine.
May 10, 2011 04:49AM
Zer04Nine, Hello again,

I can understand your wanted to be updated more frequently - hell, why not, right? - But, most lists just aren't updated that often.

It sounds like you may have a functionality issue with your lists not updating every 24hrs, you may need to go to a different section of the forum and refer to this post...

Perhaps, we could define what we are asking for? Maybe a separation of the PeerBlock update and lists?
With lists being shortened to a briefer period and PeerBlock, physical updates, remaining the same at 24hrs?

Yes, I agree this would be a vast improvement but I think, essentially, this may mean users would be required to fork out a little more spare change every now and then for sever requirements?

I dunno, this is where we'd need a rep. to enter the thread... anyone?
May 10, 2011 05:37AM
PB doesn't have any control over the lists we use, so as far as "list" updating goes you'd have to contact the list authors. For the most part lists are not updated daily but every 3-7 days a new update is downloaded.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
May 10, 2011 08:48AM
brandonjm8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PB doesn't have any control over the lists we use,
> so as far as "list" updating goes you'd have to
> contact the list authors. For the most part lists
> are not updated daily but every 3-7 days a new
> update is downloaded.

Hey brandonjm8,

90% of the 20 odd lists I'm using are usually updated once a day.

Anyway, ...what I was getting at was, in order to have more frequent updates, it might be also necessary to have PeerBlock check for updates of its own accord? IE. Separately.

... As when a list is updated it checks PeerBlock, the program, too.

So, if its a sever-traffic issue, as Zer04Nine suggested it might be, then this would relieve pressure of PeerBlock's servers... as lists are independent?

Cheers,
JobHouse.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 08:49AM by JobHouse.
May 10, 2011 09:58AM
The way it's currently set-up is for by default to have PB check for updates for itself (PeerBlock) and the lists (two different actions since PB doesn't currently author any lists to my knowledge, so if using iblocklist.com lists it contacts iblocklist.com using stored url's for your block/allow lists) on every start-up and every 24 continuous hours, now for PB it only checks for updates for it's current build i.e. check for newer stable or beta releases for PB the program only, then if you have noticed which I'm assuming you have the individual lists if downloaded and the url saved from a website that offers block/allow lists contacts those url's to see if any "new" update is available. For example, if you are using iblocklist.com block list "bogon", every time you start and/or manually select for updates or after 24 continuous hours PB will contact the url associated for said list, not ask PB for updates for said list, get it? Two different actions, one for PB and the other for lists to whatever their url specifies to go.

PB only updates itself, only. The lists will contact their respective url for updates upon manual or auto update check.

As far as your 90% lists update everyday, I don't share that same experience myself. I use 15 lists myself and only a handful update daily if not every 2-3 days. Some update more frequently while a few update weekly if not bi-weekly or longer. Basically some get updated often and some don't has been my experience.

I hope I've clarified this problem you two seem to be having, I tried proof reading twice to make it as easy to understand as possible, hope it helps.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 09:59AM by brandonjm8.
May 11, 2011 03:18AM
brandonjm8,

Apologies if I've not clarified this...

But I meant when you check >>> "Updates": "Check PeerBlock." <--- Does this not check updates for the program when you check your lists?? Quite certain it does, as, like you said, PeerBlock does not have its own lists? So therefore it could only be checking PeerBlock updates.

What I was saying was if PeerBlock WAS to be changed to update more frequently, this feature would need to be changed* IF sever traffic for PeerBlock was an issue.

*EDIT: By changed, I mean separated, so updates for PeerBlock stay on 24hr to reduce traffic.

Yeah?
JobHouse

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2011 03:20AM by JobHouse.
May 11, 2011 03:56AM
"Updates": "Check PeerBlock."

That checks for updates only for PeerBlock itself, not the lists.
May 11, 2011 07:01AM
JobHouse Wrote:
> What I was saying was if PeerBlock WAS to be
> changed to update more frequently, this feature
> would need to be changed* IF sever traffic for
> PeerBlock was an issue.

At this moment to my knowledge our servers are adequate for PB updates, on the other hand I wouldn't worry too much about flooding PB with updates since PB on average gets updated weekly if not monthly (in our hay-day updates were happening at times every day but since then a lot of changes that wanted to be made have been so now updates are less frequent now as opposed to a year ago.)

If the time comes when updates become more frequent for PB and our amount of users attempting to update to become unsuccessful I'm sure steps will be taken to remedy said problem. The feature you propose currently is ahead of its' time but a good suggestion nonetheless.

May 11, 2011 09:17AM
brandonjm8 Wrote:
>The feature you propose currently is ahead of its' time but a good suggestion nonetheless.

Hello again,

Well its really Zer04Nine's suggestion, I just wanted to point out any potential flaws, so as advantageous features have a great likelihood of being seen useful and actually implemented.

Zer04Nine, now is your chance to add anything further before the thread is past bumping and having to explain again. - Are happy with how we have represented your feature request?

Thanks for your input, brandonjm8.

Cheers and thanks again,
JobHouse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login