Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Speed up PeerBlock

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Speed up PeerBlock
May 23, 2011 10:22AM
Hello guys, why you don't make PeerBlock as fast as possible. I'm wondering, that PeerBlock recreates the lists after allowing permanentely one IP. There is no need to doing this. Leave all lists unchanged and set the entry in the list 'permanent allow'. Then check this 'permanent allow' list first and if the IP is found there, there is no need to check the other lists.
The time to recreate the lists is annoying and totally unnecessary.
Also the 2-3 seconds waiting for unblocking IP after 'allow for 15 minutes' or so on.
Why waiting 2-3 seconds. Unblock first and at once and then take the time for maintaining your lists and cache.
Re: Speed up PeerBlock
May 23, 2011 10:59AM
There are plans to make the "Generating List Cache..." a background process. It is from my understanding, going as fast as it can. The reason as to why this is necessary, is because PeerBlock, from my understanding, has to rescan all your lists to verify that the IP is set as allow or block (depending if you added it to a block or allow list).

The time recreating lists is annoying, but it is necessary to recheck all the lists, since PeerBlock has to weed out the "duplicate entries". For example. if you was using "Default P2P (Bluetack level1) list" it has "General Electric Company:3.0.0.0-3.255.255.255" and the "United States list", it has "United States:3.0.0.0-3.255.255.255" PeerBlock has to "merge" those together, since they are blocking the same thing.

This concept also apply to if you had the "Default P2P list" on block, and the "United States list" on allow. (highly recommend not to do that), since PeerBlock would have to go through those two lists, and all the others, and set every IP that the "United States list" has as allow, and "weed out" the same IP's in the other lists that are set as block, as if a IP in both an allow and block list has the priority to be allowed.

You can select multiple IP's by holding the CTRL key, and then clicking the IP's individually, or by clicking a IP and holding the SHIFT key to select multiple IP's.
May 23, 2011 12:12PM
Hey, PBChecker. Welcome to the forum.

What you suggest would mean a pretty big rewrite in PeerBlock because the part of the code it concerns is inherited from PeerGuardian and can't be that easily changed. Stuff like that is planned to be done in PeerBlock 2.0 which aims to make PeerBlock faster, more bug-free and all around better because the architectural changes can be made from scratch.

The bad news is that it'll take a while (to be determined exactly how long) to do, since none of the devs or the other people in the PeerBlock team can do this full-time. As a hobby project it'll mean hours upon hours of work to code and test it but we're working as fast as we can. In the mean time, if you have the time and skills to hack away at the code, you're free to help us. winking smiley If not, we can just be patient and wait.

Edit: Oh, and PeerBlock doesn't change the lists themselves in any way by unblocking IPs. Instead it creates an allow list, then compares the block list to the allow list. Just saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 12:16PM by Keefa.
Anonymous User
May 23, 2011 09:49PM
Hello again, I appreciate your responses. First of all, I guess, PeerBlock closes a big leak in todays browsing situation as well as downloading files. So, it is worth to optimize as much as it could.
The improvement of PeerBlock 2.0 is good news.
I tried PB running in a RAM Disk (SuperSpeed trial version), but there was no speeding noticeable. That was surprising, but shows, that the app is not bad developed.
I use PB with a lot of lists, so making"Generating List Cache..." a background process will go in the right direction.
One issue should also be checked out. Temporarily unblocking IPs, may be there is also a chance to improve.
May 23, 2011 10:16PM
RAMDisk is not really going to improve anything, since the "Generating List Cache..." is mainly "bottleneck'ed" by its current design. The "Generating List Cache..." is a single threaded process, so it can't take advantage of dual/tri/quad/hexa/octo core CPU's. It only uses a single core (if you have a multi-core cpu) or your entire CPU (if you are on a single core).
Anonymous User
May 24, 2011 01:37PM
So, all people are happy, who have the new Sandybridge CPU 2600K. For only 1 single threaded process, that core comes up nearly 4 GHz. By the way, I guess, you need lots of power to meet all the requirements of possible threats (doesn't matter if AV, firewall, PB, KeyScrambler, ...).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login