Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blocking MS Metro store app advertising

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Blocking MS Metro store app advertising
December 11, 2013 06:33PM
Nirsoft has a neat utility, HTTPNetowrkSniffer, with it I have added/blocked the IPs that show ads in my windows store games and app, but the adds keep on coming. I dont know how to block these and Peerblock is not blocking these. I am requesting a better way to block these.
Re: Blocking MS Metro store app advertising
December 11, 2013 10:14PM
if you use firefox there are add-ons that help with that, adblock plus is a good one. you go to the page hover your mouse over the image/s and you can block it without me getting too technical.

there are other useful add-ons as well for firefox.

i currently use adblock plus, no script, ghostery, DoNotTrackMe, and disconnect. with these yes my browser takes a little bit longer to load certain pages til you have cookies for that site then it's a little quicker but i rarely see ads now with this setup. when i do i use adblock plus feature described above to block them.

hope this helps!

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Anonymous User
December 12, 2013 03:27AM
ummm no. I was not talking about my browser ....

you see microsoft has this Store feature that you can find and installget apps from, ok you follow?, like games like Sudoku and Freecell and other game and apps that people make, still with me?, well, they have advertising that is ported in somehow bypass peerblock and windows firewall, sorry, anyway HTMLSniffer( dont ask how the sniffer works I doubt I can explain it to you brandon) provided some me some IPs to block and I added them to Peerblock, only peerblock didnt block them, at all. I dont know how to block them, if Peerblock needs IP+port matching to block or individual HMTL blocking, Peerblock should be able to block it, which is what I am requesting a better way to block them without blocking them the hard way, The end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 07:56AM by brandonjm8.
December 12, 2013 09:21PM
i would advise you to go to iblocklist.com and search for more advertisment block lists that they offer, maybe one could help you with your situation.

with a little research you may be able to find the ip's responsible for those adds and add that ip to your block list.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Anonymous User
December 13, 2013 04:46AM
The problem is in creating my own blocklist. If an IP isnt blocked in the normal that PB blocks IPs there has to be a better way to block it. It could be PB conflicts somehow with the crap win81 OS or its flat out allowing PB to be ignored or even bypassed. So it comes down to the question, is PB adequate enough that it can absolutely block an IP from a custom IP block list? According, what I have seen the answer is no.
December 14, 2013 05:25PM
Zatris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So it comes down to the question, is PB
> adequate enough that it can absolutely block an IP
> from a custom IP block list?

Yes, PeerBlock treats custom blocklists the same as any other blocklist.  I have a number of custom blocklists I use all the time - both Block and Allow - and they are working great for me.

One thing you can do to verify this is to View History, and look through the Allowed tab for the IP address in your custom blocklist.  You can also us the Search feature in this window to check.  Note of course that the use of this window is entirely dependent upon your History settings under the "Settings 1" tab (or first page of the "Settings" tab on 1.1 Stable).

Going forward I would like to build in an easier way to block IPs directly from the Protection tab - I'm thinking right click, "Add to Blocklist" --> "Create New Blocklist", "{custom blocklist 1}", "{custom blocklist 2}", etc.  Still got a few things to iron out with the upcoming 1.1+/1.2 train first though, so that feature won't be coming until a bit later.

Please let us know if you do end up verifying that your custom blocklists aren't being blocked, so we can see what's going wrong on your machine.  I think the most likely cause of you still seeing ads is either additional IP addresses left unblocked, or else Microsoft being sneaky and caching ads that they can display if they can't connect to their ad-server.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
December 16, 2013 08:04AM
I made an all encompassing BLOCK ALL list 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 (someone suggested this somewhere on the forums here) and I am still getting these adds. So MS must be sneaky enough to get them in. I even changed all my custom rules in windows firewall to figure out how they are getting thru. Could it be a http based on port 80? idk for sure (yet??).

www.lifehacker.com has some solutions that are for more advanced users but that requires people messing with their windows security, I am not sure how many really want to go that far if a 3rd party app like peerblock could do the trick. It cant in its present form. there are a lot of suggestion that might help, but I'm sure there is a very small team doing the actul coding.
Anonymous User
December 16, 2013 08:11AM
opps forgot to mention, hitting Block HTTP does block them but it also block me some using my broswer on most of my regular;y used/visited webpages.
Anonymous User
December 16, 2013 08:42AM
ohhh I just thought of a nice suggestion, the ability turn on Block HTTP whenever the screensaver activates!!!
December 16, 2013 06:43PM
you should check your block window and allow the ones the belong to the pages you are trying to view. http is the protocol for websites. if you are trying to block ads then blocking http is a good idea.
Anonymous User
December 18, 2013 07:16PM
Using Firefox/waterfox have adequate ad blocking and tracking add-ons, if this extended to all of windows we wouldnt need tools like Peerblock. there are too many tools around that do one specific purpose, thats fine and dandy, the downside it the more type of those tools we use the more resources get eaten up. So its pretty obvious that Peerblock could be the best/ even better than the paid competition out there with a few extend capabilities.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login