Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A suggestion for Peerblock

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
A suggestion for Peerblock
May 24, 2014 09:37PM
Hi. I do alot of torrenting of files and I use PeerBlock pretty much for everything. I have all IPs from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 blocked and i only allow ones that I need. I use Vuze torrent client for downloading files and sometimes i get hundres of ips from vuze that I don't want to have to go through and allow all of them. So I thought of an idea to resolve this. Either we can:

1. Add an exclusion system that will allow any IP's that come from a specific program. So, if I have vuze excluded, then any IPs that coem from vuze will be allowed.

2. Have multiple profiles that we can switch that has different sets of list. So profile 1 can be my block all ips and profile 2 can have a few other lists and so on. Maybe to be able to switch profiles without the need to restart peerblock or your pc.
Anonymous User
Re: A suggestion for Peerblock
June 24, 2014 10:40AM
ROCKNROLLKID Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
2. Have multiple profiles that we can switch that has different sets of list. So profile 1 can be my block all ips and profile 2 can have a few other lists and so on. Maybe to be able to switch profiles without the need to restart peerblock or your pc.

Absolutly, the program seems really nicely coded, though very much in need of this particulat functionality - as not sure how viable it is, to use in an optimal way - i.e. tuned for the particular type of access/internet activity being conductied at any one time. In reality, to be useful, would need to be able to switch profiles on the fly - and need the capacity to cater for a large number of profiles.

Your point 1 is a good one as well (& seems like would be really useful).
Anonymous User
August 28, 2014 07:04PM
ROCKNROLLKID Wrote:

> 1. Add an exclusion system that will allow any
> IP's that come from a specific program. So, if I
> have vuze excluded, then any IPs that coem from
> vuze will be allowed.
>
> 2. Have multiple profiles that we can switch that
> has different sets of list. So profile 1 can be my
> block all ips and profile 2 can have a few other
> lists and so on. Maybe to be able to switch
> profiles without the need to restart peerblock or
> your pc.

I like this idea.

1. Make this so that added exceptions are time limited and/or only if a program is open and running. I.e. as long as Vuze is open and running.
2. The problem with this is for non subscribers to iblocklist, it COULD mean downloading multiple dublicate lists. The fix would be to allow profiles to select from the group of already downloaded lists, in essence downloading 1 list that could be assigned to multiple profiles.
August 29, 2014 03:08AM
This sounds more like a firewall to me. If you are talking about "added exceptions are time limited and/or only if a program is open and running."
One thing lead developer has insisted PB is not intended to be a firewall.
But you guys are on the right track with profile1 and profile 2 ideas.
Anonymous User
September 01, 2014 07:17PM
My suggestions were to have either or, not both. Having both of them would be a little overkill, in my opinion.

@RobrPatty: I know peerblock isn't a firewall, but it does act much like a firewall with the exception of a few options usually seen in firewalls today.

@Zatris: I wouldn't have to have any "duplicates" at all because it only requires 1 list to be used on both profiles. Peerblock would have to program some way to clone or duplicate it in the program so it wouldn't effect limits with iblocklist.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login