Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Usable as a Bridging Firewall

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Usable as a Bridging Firewall
January 15, 2010 01:04PM
I'm Trying to use this firewall as a bridging firewall in front of my router but test modes in front of a single computer it simply dont work

I'm Using Win XP Pro with 2 network cards in bridge mode and some how bridged traffic bypasses peerblock would peerguardian work in this case? or do i have to go to protowall (doesn't have a way to auto update policies on protowall)

what do i do now ?

BlindRain
Re: Usable as a Bridging Firewall
January 15, 2010 03:28PM
Sounds as though Windows Networking is bypassing the type of filter-driver we use on XP.  PeerGuardian is likely to suffer the same problem, as we use the same type of driver (a "Filter-hook Driver").  We do use a different type of driver for Windows Vista / 7; if you have the means, it might be worth trying out one of those OSes (or a server variant, Windows 2003+) to see if the behavior changes.

We do plan on at some point building proxy-server functionality into PeerBlock - this should allow things to work as you'd hope.  This is not likely to happen until after PeerBlock 2.0 though, so you're looking at probably 9-12 months out.  This is Issue #93, if you're interested in "Starring" it - we use the number of Stars an issue has as an indication of how interested our users are in a particular feature, and you'll get updates once we start working on it too.

Other than that, though, we're going to need to think about this some - it's definitely an interesting use case.  I wonder if there's a way to configure Windows Networking such that our driver would be loaded into the networking path for this situation?

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login