Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Display program that attempted to connect to ip

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Display program that attempted to connect to ip
February 04, 2010 09:49AM
Displaying the program that tried to connect to the ip that was blocked, if not html, would be very useful. For instance, it could help in the detection of an unwanted program, if you see that it is consistently making bad connections, although I do realize that the purpose of PeerBlock is for P2P.
Re: Display program that attempted to connect to ip
February 04, 2010 01:10PM
If you star [code.google.com], you can receive notifications when this feature is complete.
February 04, 2010 01:56PM
An no, while we realize that many people use it for such reasons, the sole purpose of PeerBlock is not for P2P!  I myself use - along with many others, yourself included it seems - use it to help cut down on the annoyance of advertising / spyware related programs, and to help protect myself against known hacker computers, and even refuse certain countries access to my machine. 

That said, yes, we do hope to look into implementing this at some point.  Will be much easier for Windows Vista/7 than XP/2000, but we'll see what we can do.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
February 04, 2010 07:39PM
I came here to post about this but you already did it . I love the idea and hope they put it in or if they wont does anyone know of a program that does?
February 04, 2010 08:19PM
Heya Thor.

Nowadays firewalls provide this sort of feature. Of course this is all dependant on how high paranoid / control-freak settings you have set up.
Anonymous User
February 04, 2010 08:41PM
What about making it a plug in? This way people can pick what they want to add. Is it paranoid or being a control freak adding this tool into this program? If so i like it smiling smiley I like my programs and tools like PeerBlocker so if this is true then it's true with most people who use this program.
February 10, 2010 04:39AM
We completely agree that this would be a great feature to have.  The biggest problem is that it's going to be extremely difficult to pull this information out of Windows XP.  As per that bug to which night_stalker_z linked, we'll need to completely rewrite the XP/2000 driver in order to include this feature for those operating systems.  Since that new driver would need to be a much more complex one, we're looking at changing the driver from 200-300 lines of code to 2000-3000 lines of code (estimated) - that's a significant undertaking.

Not saying it won't happen, but it's not exactly all that high on our priority list at this point.  What we'll probably end up doing is implement the feature for Vista/7 first, and then XP/2000 when/if we get around to rewriting that driver.  Otherwise, if someone with coding experience is interested in taking this project on, let us know!

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login