Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Automatically close update box after updating

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Automatically close update box after updating
February 15, 2010 12:53PM
There has been a lot of requests for various silent updates, which would be ideal, but something I would like to see at least in a later version is for the update box to automatically close after it's finished updating. Perhaps implement it like antivir's update screen, where once it's finished it times down from 10 inside the close button, closing on zero. It would also be good if simply hitting enter when the update screen is the top window for it to close - antivir also does this.

I have peerblock start on launch, so turn on my PC then go away for a few mins and come back when it's ready to use - except every day I have to select close on the peerguard update box and wait a few seconds for it to load the lists before I can go online. It's only only a few seconds, but it is a daily pain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2010 12:54PM by spader.
Anonymous User
Re: Automatically close update box after updating
February 15, 2010 01:08PM
Spader this option IS available on the second page of the Settings tab : "Autoclose update window after ... 5 seconds".
However you will still have to wait until the database is rebuilt.
All the best.
Anonymous User
February 15, 2010 01:27PM
Many thanks! I don't know how I missed that page!

Oh well, I guess being able to close by hitting enter would be handy - but a very minor issues now I can have it autoclose.
fxm
February 16, 2010 07:50AM
joiwind Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Settings tab : "Autoclose update window after ... seconds".

It would be nice if that setting were applied only after an automatic update; when there is a problem with the updates and I do one manually to see what is going on, it is semi-annoying to have the box close "by itself".
March 03, 2010 09:19AM
fxm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> joiwind Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
>
> > Settings tab : "Autoclose update window after
> ... seconds".
>
> It would be nice if that setting were applied only
> after an automatic update; when there is a problem
> with the updates and I do one manually to see what
> is going on, it is semi-annoying to have the box
> close "by itself".

We are currently tracking a suggestion to have the Updating window cancel the auto-close stuff if you click anywhere in it - Issue #268.  Would this be a better way to attack this problem, or do you still foresee yourself wanting to have longer to review the updates after a manual click?  I'm actually not sure which would end up annoying me more - having to click in the window to stop auto-close every so often, or having no auto-close at all for manually-invoked Update checks.

Honestly, this is another Usability issue that will be best addressed as part of the PeerBlock 2.0 rewrite.  I wouldn't mind patching around the deeper issue in the meantime though, probably in the 1.2 timeframe.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
March 03, 2010 01:42PM
One thing I would like to see Mark, is if hidden, the option that the update window doesn't appear at all.

If PeerBlock starts hidden, hide it all. Then I can start PeerBlock with Windows and not worry about the pop-ups in the middle of the screen. Or at most when hidden, just give us a task bar notification if the update fails.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2010 01:43PM by kris44dad.
March 03, 2010 01:55PM
What we really need is an md5 or crc check to occur to determine if an update is necessary, and have the update window minimize to the system tray. Also having a balloon note stating either "No Update is necessary" or "PeerBlock is Updating Lists" or "PeerBlock Updater is Updating PeerBlock" and have it auto close the updater after all tasks are complete and the message is read.

I know the entire updating interface will need to be re-written but once again just a thought...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2010 01:55PM by DarC.
Anonymous User
March 03, 2010 05:11PM
I'm all for anything that keeps PeerBlock in the system tray. The update process seems quick enough without adding a crc check, but whatever.....
March 03, 2010 06:40PM
Absolutely - the ideal method of operation would be for us to update, generate list cache, etc., all in the background like a firewall or anitivirus would.  The problem is that the current base code we "inherited" from PeerGuardian has most of the core functionality tied into the UI code.  This makes it more difficult to do the kinds of refactoring that we're talking about here.

For PeerBlock 2.0 we'll be gutting our code base and rearchitecting it to behave in a much more sensible manner.  Part of this project will involve separating out the UI code from the Core code, which will let PeerBlock optionally be able to run as a Windows Service (with a non-Admin-requiring user-mode App controlling it, from multiple users on a system even).  We will also be reworking our UI using some cross-platform code, to help pave the way for Mac & Linux ports.  This is when we should be able to fix all these niggling UI issues "for real".  All the stuff we're doing up till that point is really just a stopgap measure to make it bearable until we get to 2.0; any UI changes we implement now will essentially be throwaway code, since it will all need to be recoded anyways as part of the 2.0 development effort.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
March 03, 2010 06:54PM
Let me add that we all appreciate you picking up the ball from PeerGuardian.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login