Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

road to ruin

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
road to ruin
March 28, 2010 09:43PM
i hate to say it but i think peerblock is on the road to ruin, its going to end up a resource hog and very messy, why cant we just improve it, and make a separate one for all this new things like people running servers i.e blocking any ports an allow HTTP for 15 Min's, now when i right click Pb i get a massive option screen its not needed.thanks jeff
Re: road to ruin
March 29, 2010 12:10AM
Well in the long hall we hope to achieve a program that has everybody interests at heart.

It might be a good idea to make a separate port for a future version of PB-lite like PG had.
April 05, 2010 11:02AM
From a development standpoint, maintaining two codebases ends up being pretty painful.  It would also confuse users as to which one they should be using.  For your immediate concern however - too many options in the right-click menu - it might be worth considering making that configurable...

As far as PeerBlock turning into a "resource hog", I really can't see the sort of stuff we're doing being all that memory- or cpu-intensive.  The biggest performance hit we experience right now is due to displaying blocked connections in the main window, believe it or not.  Once we start adding new features that could "bloat" the program, we'll make sure to give people a way to disable them so that they can continue running PeerBlock lean-and-mean if they so choose.

Should we start to stray from this goal, please make sure to remind us and keep us on track!  winking smiley

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
April 05, 2010 12:52PM
hey markside and darC,
yes i understand where your coming from, but I'm started to experience things happening again like in peerguardian, freezing an not responding, and that allow for 15 Min's just clicks itself to allow perm?? i am going back to the beta version before r320 as it was most stable.
iam am still seeing BBC in the blocklist ,.lol and i ain't installed anything off them soo, thats dodgy!
thanks jeff
April 05, 2010 07:08PM
Hrm, not sure what the "freezing and not responding" issue may be, though to be honest I've fallen behind on posts here on the forums - working on trying to catch up, have a couple weeks worth of Support forum posts left on my reading-list.  Hopefully we'll be able to figure out whatever bug you're referring to and fix it.

The "click 'Allow HTP for 15 minutes' causes 'Allow HTTP' to be selected" was a method of implementing the feature that made sense to me, but apparently not to anyone else.  winking smiley  I considered the "Allow HTTP for 15 min" operation to be a "command", and so set the "Allow HTTP" flag for 15 minutes.  Sounds like most other people instead would prefer for just the exact command you selected to be the one flagged in the right-click menu, so we'll change it over to that.  My apologies for the confusing UI.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
April 26, 2010 08:28PM
im running pb at 2000k, it's not a hog just tweak it and your done !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login