Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simultaneous Connections

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Simultaneous Connections
April 01, 2010 08:31PM
Hi there,

Thank you for the great work that has been put into this project. Peer Guardian was nothing short of dead, and a replacement was really needed. This works a lot better, thanks. : )

However, currently my ISP throttles international HTTP connections on my plan (some more than others) to the point where either it downloads at around 3KB/s or PeerBlock just hangs on around 1%. This makes updating the default lists impossible.

One way I have found to get around it is by using a few simultaneous connections in FlashGet to download the lists. This works every time, fully saturating my bandwidth. Then I manually added them to PeerBlock. As you can imagine, it's a HUGE pain having to do this every time an update is due.

Would it be possible to get a /option/ to use two or three simultaneous connections while updating the lists? Considering today's browsers use anywhere from 2-6 (IE8 sure had its coffee), I wouldn't think the list hosts would mind that much.

Thank you!
Re: Simultaneous Connections
April 05, 2010 11:25AM
Hmm, PeerBlock is currently simultaneously downloading ALL of your lists - actually, people have been asking for the option to download sequentially instead, since attempting to download dozens of lists at the same time can cause some users problems!

Not sure why we're being throttled while FlashGet is not...  Might be worth asking the folks over at iblocklist.com if they could look into setting up a mirror-server in your country, and then implement some kind of geo-ip lookup and preferentially forward that country's users to that in-country server.

Wish we could be of more help,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login