Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Show program making request that was blocked.

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Show program making request that was blocked.
August 28, 2010 11:03AM
It would be very helpful to have the name of the program/process that made the request that was blocked so that we can track it down and remove it.
Re: Show program making request that was blocked.
August 30, 2010 09:10PM
I agree that it should "Show program making request that was blocked", because I often see Bogon (example: 224.0.0.252) and numerous IANA IPs being blocked, but my modem is offline (and in standby mode). I have a wireless router, but don't have a wireless adapter in my desktop and don't know a connection is being attempted. Is someone trying to connect through the wireless router ???

Another reason "the program should be shown" is because once I tried and installed utorrent (for my curiosity and my tech support experience). I changed the range of the ip address for utorrent, then noticed later on that, there were hundreds of repeated connection attempts to various AP2P sites for several days. I later changed the utorrent range back to normal, rebooted, and the attempts went away. Since then, I have deleted the utorrent software.

Gary
Anonymous User
September 10, 2010 10:42AM
A lot of people are waiting for implementation of this :-(

(Hopefully it will be soon)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 10:44AM by roger2010.
October 06, 2010 06:03PM
Believe me, we hear ya, and do hope to include this feature soon.  Well, sort of.  The problem is that while appears trivially easy to get at the endpoint program from Windows Vista/7, to do so under XP would require a complete XP-driver rewrite . . . not a project we're planning on undertaking anytime soon.  So those of you running Vista/7 will hopefully be taken care of soon, but if you're still running XP it's gonna be awhile.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
October 07, 2010 01:06PM
That's great news! I'm just now moving from XP to Win7.

I'm currently getting a lot of "P2P Detected . . . . . . . . ." lines in the blocked window when I'm not P2P(ing). I'd love to know what is causing this.

Thanks for giving hope smiling smiley

Rog.
October 07, 2010 04:40PM
What you can do is download TCPView [technet.microsoft.com] and look for the IP that program is using.
Anonymous User
October 08, 2010 07:36AM
Thanks! I'll give that a try smiling smiley
Anonymous User
October 08, 2010 12:19PM
Unfortunately, I tried that. Since the program does not give a history of open ports, it is hard to catch. The programs open the port and then immedicately closes it when it finds them blocked. Often they try a whole sequence of ports looking for an open one. I have also become fairly convinced from the ones that I have caught that almost all of mine are coming from specific webpages, not from programs that I have installed. So I am not sure that having the program for the request being shown by Peerblock is going to tell us much. For Internet Explorer ( or any of the other web browsers), we need to see the actual webpage URL that opened the port.
Anonymous User
December 21, 2010 11:48AM
Have you tried "CurrPorts"?

[www.nirsoft.net]

I used it today to check what was originating all the continual http:80 requests from 192.121.121.30 (Kungliga Tekniska Hogskolan) that PB was blocking and found the originating application on my PC was uTorrent. I was then able to examine uTorrent and having identified 192.121.121.30 as a tracker in some of my seeding torrents, and from that I tentatively deduced

-- its http:80 tracker is misconfigured sending all these continual requests to uTorrent, or
-- PB blocks 192.121.121.30 so that's why it keeps sending requests;
-- my uTorrent is somehow misconfigured, or
-- maybe even there's some attempted exploit on 192.121.121.30.

I assume the simple answer, second above, is the right one; but that does not explain why 192.121.121.30 is in the blocked list used by PB...
Anonymous User
May 25, 2011 11:47AM
I am the one who is awaiting action.
May 25, 2011 01:02PM
+1 who would love to see this if its possible.
Anonymous User
May 25, 2011 03:20PM
Try Comodo KillSwitch (part of cleaning essentials) and use the 'network' tab. Choose very slow update '10sec'.
It is a very powerfull taskmanager.
Anonymous User
June 17, 2011 11:56AM
no mention of 'Resource Monitor'?

> task manager > performance > resource monitor' - win 7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2011 11:57AM by MrScabby2.
Anonymous User
August 17, 2011 02:45PM
This would be a nice feature.

I was an XP holdout for a long time, but I think Win7 is solid enough that it's probably not worth the time to continue supporting XP specific implementations. I think adding Vista/Win7 support for this should be sufficient.
Anonymous User
October 10, 2011 05:58PM
I just registered to please ask you to implement this feature as soon as possible, its really necessary.
Anonymous User
October 16, 2011 05:03AM
This would be a really nice feature!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login