iPredator
April 16, 2011 07:34AM
I'm considering subscription to a VPN service.
I've seen that there are a lot of them out there (like SwissVPN, HideMyAss, Relakks etc etc).

iPredator seems to be not only the most affordable but also most privacy-granting option.

Soo... has anyone here subscribed to such a VPN service?
Is it worth it?
How did it work out for you?
What did you have to change on your router or internet settings?

Regards
Dr. Feelgood

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 03:43AM by Dr. Feelgood.
Re: iPredator
April 16, 2011 11:27AM
I subscribed to BTGuard about a year ago and am still using it. With it and PeerBlock I'm pretty secured and happy with the combination.
April 25, 2011 04:51AM
I did it now smiling smiley
I've read that there is a serious bug in the PPTP protocol used by iPredator, so I had to intervene.
In combination with PeerBlock (which is still going crazy with several blocks per minute) I think I found a good solution to my problems.

These are the configs I use:
a) Disable the IPv6 stack by going into the registry -->

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\
Right-click “Parameters”, select “New” in the contextual menu, then select “DWORD Value”, and then type the following name for the new value (type the name exactly as shown, including capitalization):

DisabledComponents = FF

Or as a video = [www.sempervideo.de]

b) Turning off the Teredo protocol:

Click Start, then Control Panel.
Click on “System and Maintenance” link.
Click on “Device Manager”.

Click Continue on UAC prompt.
In device manager, click the “View” menu and select (tick) “Show hidden devices”.
Expand the “Network Adapters” tree.
Right click on “Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface” and select “Disable”.

c) Setting up my Windows firewall, so data transfer stops immediately in case my VPN goes down under ->
[practicalrambler.blogspot.com]

d) I'm also using VPNcheck. A small practical program that checks if the VPN is running every 0.3 seconds. If not, it closes down all programs that shouldn't be run without my VPN (e.g. µtorrent)
Check it out - it's spartanic, but it does its job just right ->
[code.vn720.com]

I'd be glad to hear about how to improve my security measures.
I think that especially a VPN watcher is a must, because during my initial testing these last days I had a lot of sudden disconnects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 04:51AM by Dr. Feelgood.
April 26, 2011 11:19AM
With Cryptocloud if the VPN disconnects no traffic is allowed to pass through. Of course it is more expensive but the next one I would try is btguard cause is uses the same Open source VPN Client. (OpenVPN)

Now its to be left up to you how you want to proceed. In my experience quality most often comes with a price-tag..
April 26, 2011 04:07PM
Hmm. Those cryptocloud people seem to be full of themselves.
They say they're the "only" VPN that supports P2P. Hmm.
And then they want $50/month whereas iPredator charges ~17€...

BTW, OpenVPN seems to be the next big thing and iPredator has started an open beta test every customer may join. So the technical argument will delete itself in a few months... and I paid for 3 months anyway, so I'll stick to it for at least until July. And then I think I'll join their OpenVPN beta test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 04:14PM by Dr. Feelgood.
April 26, 2011 09:23PM
Last I knew they were asking $20/month

Here is the pricing table...

1 month - $19.95 | 3 months - $49.95 (save $10) | 6 months - $99.95 (save $20) | 1 year - $179.95 (save $40)

Besides that [lmgtfy.com]

Your paying 24 per month with iPredator...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 09:28PM by DarC.
April 27, 2011 03:55AM
Those are Swedish guys. So it's Swedish Kronen time.
Officially they charge 15€/3 months - as I paid it turned out that this is incorrect. It's 15SEK - which equals about 17€.

All for 3 months, of course.
[www.ipredator.se]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2011 03:57AM by Dr. Feelgood.
April 28, 2011 12:19AM
Meh kool...
Anonymous User
August 30, 2011 12:22PM
I am surprised that I did not find this forum sooner, very cool.

Noticed that we were discussing services and wanted to add my two cents! Here you can find a link to Peter Sunde, one of the founders of iPred and the Pirate Bay as well as an all around pillar of the community speaking on his service [tinyurl.com] . As you can see it is based on pptp which in itself is inherently easy to crack and he says his service is more of a political statement rather than a fully secure privacy service. I would like to also note that I am a seven year veteran of the VPN game and directly involved with Cryptocloud so I will not attempt to make this a sales message on clear up some misconceptions. My goal is to educate and get everyone who uses the internet from all devices to use some service to guard their privacy.

First I suggest that prior to purchasing a service that you read a companies TOS, this will help you determine their level of protection for your individuality. If you see a statement that says anything like "If we are notified that, or determine that you are breaking our rules, we will notify you and or shut off your service. This seemingly innocent statement notifies you that you are being logged somehow or they only have 1 customer. We do not log PERIOD and in 7 years we have not discontinued anyone's service for their online actions. I can tell you as the one who has read more than 5000 letters directed at stopping p2p that they have all been answered and no customer has ever been shut off.

We do offer a free p2p for our customers that we are working on developing a super wrapper for as well as a bug free OpenVpn product for mobile devices. Here is a copy of Bruce Schenier's paper on pptp [tinyurl.com] that may shed some light on its protection capabilities not to mention that it was developed by Microsoft, a bastion of freedom.

Hopefully this will shed some light on the subject. I will track this as time allows though please feel free to PM me or find me on twitter if there is something I should follow up on in this forum.

Cheers!
November 14, 2011 02:37PM
Interesting article, check it out: Which VPN Providers Really Take Anonymity Seriously? [torrentfreak.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login