Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I have a non PB question...

Posted by brandonjm8 
I have a non PB question...
October 21, 2011 10:15AM
With us having such knowledgeable helpful people here I have a quick question for ya, go ahead and shout out your opinions and recommendations along with what the programs exactly do and how they work and where i can go about getting them, thanks in advance.

currently i have pc tools fw and avast av and spybot s&d, my question is this: whats a good (free)anti-mal/spy/ad-ware and other "ware" that i dont have that would be beneficial to me?

right now for some reason for the past 6+ months my comp has been slower than usual (which i will be doing a fresh vista re-install on my comp in the next couple days) and half the time i open up any window for example my computer window via the start menu my view setting randomly changes (it never did that up until 6+ months ago), i always set my view to "tile" but sometimes its in list mode or large icon or even small icon mode, it randomly changes view modes between all of them and rarely is it still in "tile" view mode, and thats for every type of window i bring up, quite frequently they all change. i think my comp might have something in it that i havent detected yet, all my scans come up clean.

also might be relevant but some of my emulator programs tend to crash or not work right anymore, i had them working just fine when i first put them on my comp but now they crash with the same settings i had when i had them running good. i cant for the life of me find any help online nor figure it out myself, i have a dual core processor and a good graphics card which lets me play most games on highest settings and i had these emulators running on high settings 6+ months ago when i was using them but now w/o changing the settings and still having the same settings as before and even switching everything to low or off cant get the darn emulator to stop crashing so im wondering if some kind of "ware" could be the culprit, maybe the same one messing with my settings i have no idea lol. probably not relevant but thought id throw that in.

any help/advice is greatly appreciated and thank you for the help.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 12:34PM by brandonjm8.
Re: I have a non PB question...
October 22, 2011 11:26AM
I use SpywareBlaster to further immunize my computer after Spybot and SUPER antimalware to get rid of stuff that might creep in my computer. Both are free and work beautifully.

[www.javacoolsoftware.com]
[www.superantispyware.com]
Anonymous User
October 25, 2011 08:25PM
Re-install and then using a backup program, to store the configuration you like. You should make a new backup at every change. --- [www.giveawayoftheday.com]
Free progs - [www.easeus.com] - - - [www.paragon-software.com]

Looking for a very good 'Internet Security' --- [www.youtube.com]

Free and best AVs are Malwarebytes und Hitman Pro for on demand scans.

My favorite 'Internet Security Pack' , but expensive --- [www.emsisoft.de]

PeerBlock is the only app, that allows blocking all IPs for extending users privacy

Disable IPv6: --- [www.youtube.com]#!

Windows Vista/7 'Resource Monitor' or Comodo Killswitch for permanently control of network traffic (set with boot).

Free version of 'Windows 7 Firewall Control'. Easy give or deny access to the internet for all programs running. --- [sphinx-soft.com]

Wireshark --- [www.wireshark.org]
E. g. in Wireshark is found a connection to a microsoft server always using (win7) browsers search engine field after CR.
May be disable and not telling MS everything. The Group Policy setting is in User Configuration under Policies
(if present), in Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Do not search Internet.
For VPN, it's able to examine if the name server at the VPN provider is used or the own ns with real IP (would be massive leak of anonymity).

Firefox:
- Browsing on infected websites: Run your browser (better not IE) in Sandboxie with Keyscrambler.
- Prevent reading your traffic: HTTPS finder, HTTPS everywhere
- Prevent that servers spying inside your PC during your visit: Use NoScript, Cookie Manager Button, Cookie Whitelist with Buttons, Better Privacy, InlineDisposition
- Prevent that your profil is easy to recognise: change your UserAgent every day automatically, fake a little bit with IPFlood, hide your plugins using Quick Java, Plugins Toggler
- Hide your IP by using Tor or VPN.
- proxy server DNS forward network.proxy.socks_remote_dns=true

BTF-Sniffer --- [www.techmaxi.com]
BleachBit --- [bleachbit.sourceforge.net]
CCleaner --- [www.piriform.com]
Eusing Free Registry Cleaner --- [www.eusing.com]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 11:12AM by PBChecker.
Anonymous User
January 27, 2012 04:40AM
If you haven't performed a clean install yet, you could try Tweaking.com - Windows Repair. [fileforum.betanews.com] I would recommend Bleachbit and then Ccleaner as well. Bleachbit can get rid of some temp files and stubborn third party cookies that Ccleaner can't . (The registry cleaner in Ccleaner is one of the safer cleaners to use as well)

Your problem with your icons changing might have something to do with a system cleaner such as Ccleaner. If it is set to clean your thumbnail cache, your computer's icon settings will get wiped every time and be reset to default.

Thanks for the link for BTF-Sniffer PBChecker. I don't speak that language but it's easy to figure out. It's a great little app that I have added to my tool box.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 05:16AM by TOF.
January 09, 2013 10:47AM
PBChecker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Free and best AVs are Malwarebytes und Hitman Pro
> for on demand scans.

Not only on demand
Malwarebytes Pro comes with lifetime license and is the best AV
I love the combo with Online Armor free emsisoft

great applications:
network miner
rdpdetect.exe
January 18, 2013 11:46AM
Malwarebytes Anti-Root-Kit - [www.malwarebytes.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 05:57PM by WhiteHat.
January 21, 2013 07:56PM
10 years of being a PC tech and still I see the same old mistakes... Why do people think that adding software to computers somehow makes PC's faster. Extra things > Means extra memory requirements > Means extra PC load> Means depletion of Parts wear out > Means PC Death..

Fresh install your OS Install minimalistic drivers no extra crapware extras. Get an antivirus with a good rep for not stomping on your resources. Eset nod32 is the best one i've found. If your not into paying for your antivirus then Microsoft Security Essentials should do good all others seem like they are good but they sux resources.
January 23, 2013 10:33AM
DarC Wrote:
> Why do people think that adding software to computers somehow makes PC's faster.
Right, it will not work.

> Extra things > Means extra memory requirements > Means extra PC load Means depletion of Parts wear out
Today, there is lots of Intel power, mostly more you need.

> Fresh install your OS Install minimalistic drivers no extra crapware extras.
It's ok, if it works for you.

I use my computer for several things, have lots of apps and thats no prob, if you have this or similar (FREE)
[www.paragon-software.com]
If you always take an new image at every persistent change and you have always 8-10 images, you are safe in case of installing software, that's blowing your system. You can also install everything for testing, if it don't work for you - last image back - here we go.

If you wants to uninstall something later, you will appriciate something like that
[www.chemtable.com]
or free GeekUninstaller [www.geekuninstaller.com]

> Get an antivirus with a good rep for not stomping on your resources. Eset nod32 is the best one i've found. If your
> not into paying for your antivirus then Microsoft Security Essentials should do good
Microsoft Security Essentials: not too bad
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2014 02:42PM by WhiteHat.
February 23, 2013 07:36AM
wow people are still answering this topic, thanks but i guess i shouldve told everyone it was hardware, still is, wiped alot of my system w/o having to re-install windows. g-cards bad and processor's slowing down, comps coming up on 5 years will have to start fresh and replace soon, too old to (difficult existing parts to reuse) modify.

thanks for all suggestions!

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
October 03, 2013 12:26PM
brandonjm8 Wrote:
> wow people are still answering this topic, thanks but i guess i shouldve told everyone it was hardware

now? anyway, here is a nice app to control DNS queries

[www.nirsoft.net]
October 03, 2013 09:12PM
yeah my gcard finally died out a couple months ago, replaced it with a nvidia g220, all problems are gone. my computer went back to being fast afterwards.

i currently have comodo av/fw, spybot, super anit spy, malwarebytes, and tdsskiller. i scan usually once a week sometimes more for super-anit-spyware since google and youtube put tracking cookies every time you sign in into your computers temp files (which i dont like) and i get rid of them quite often but once i sign back in the next day boom they are there ugh smh (i really hate how google does business). ccleaner once a week too along with ipconfig and deleting browser history and cookies quite often too. i dont think i need more protection but if anyone thinks i am missing something even with what i stated i have go ahead and shout it out, i'll research it and go from there, thanks.

the icons still change on my windows, ccleaner IS set up to clear thumbnail cache (must've been the default since i dont recall ever check marking this option) and upon further research i unticked this option unless anybody thinks and for good reason that i should clear thumbnail cache regularly.

once again thanks guys for all the help!

October 04, 2013 12:41PM
brandonjm8 Wrote:
> i dont think i need more protection but if anyone thinks i am missing something even with what i stated i have go ahead
> and shout it out, i'll research it and go from there, thanks.

You can check out KillSwitch as part of Comodo Cleaning Essentials. Autostart (batch), always on top (Network Tab), always see every connection from your computer at any time and the responsible app. May be, you have to close some unnecessary ports and services to shorten the list. (attachment)

If there is a comodo sandbox for browsers, it's ok, if not, you can run FF IE sandboxed (Sandboxie) - all changes at your browser, add ons during session are gone after closing; e.g. activating flash or cookies or scripts or what ever. Also all cookies and downloaded scripts and stuff is gone.

Place sandbox in RamDisk (http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php); computer off - everything gone.
BTW, if there is enough RAM, a small pagefile in RamDisk is not too bad.

Before playing around with free ramdisks or apps deep going into the system, it is recommended take an image in case of blowing the system.
[www.paragon-software.com]
Attachments:
open | download - KillSwitch.jpg (166.7 KB)
October 17, 2013 07:15PM
brandonjm8 Wrote:
> i dont think i need more protection but if anyone thinks i am missing something even with what i stated i have go
> ahead and shout it out, i'll research it and go from there, thanks.

Using a router with a statefull programmable firewall allows all kind of settings and increase security a lot:
Here is an example for e.g. firewall rules:

From-----To---------Schedule--User-----IPv4Source--------------------------IPv4Destination---Service------Access----Log
1_LAN___any____none_____any___1.1.1.1-192.168.0.x_________any___________any_______deny____Log
2_LAN___any____none_____any___192.168.0.y-255.255.255.255_any___________any_______deny____Log
3_LAN___any____none_____any___any______________________any___________Any_UDP__deny____Log
4_LAN___Router__none____any___any______________________any___________DNS_UDP__allow____Log
5_LAN___Router__none____any___any______________________any___________BootServer_allow____Log
6_LAN___any_____none___any___LAN_Subnet 192.168.0.0/24___any___________HTTP_____allow____Log
7_LAN___any_____none___any___LAN_Subnet 192.168.0.0/24___any___________HTTPS____allow____Log
8_LAN___Router__none____any___LAN_Subnet 192.168.0.0/24__any____________HTTP_____allow____Log
9_LAN___Router__none____any___LAN_Subnet 192.168.0.0/24__any____________HTTPS____allow____Log
n_any____any____none____any___any______________________any____________any_______deny____Log

P1-2 prevent hidden virtuell VPN IPs entering the internet - physical computer in network 192.168.0.x-y are allowed
P3 prevent TCP over DNS tunnel - if DNS server are set inside the router, changing the DNS network settings in Windows from router gateway to internet server by virus stops requests
P4 DNS UDP_53 allowed
P5 Boot UDP_67 allowed
P6-7 TCP_80/443 allowed to WAN
P8-9 TCP_80/443 allowed to router for service/programming
Pn anything else denied

denied all UDP except 53
denied all TCP except 80/443
Every needed port can be opened and closed on demand

Set router to: Connect on demand with idle Time e.g. 60 sec.
Leaving the comp will disable the connection after 60 sec; more secure then nailed on all the time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 02:21PM by WhiteHat.
December 09, 2013 09:26PM
how detect user activity logging files: Disk Pulse Free

search for file access entries after every browser click

[www.diskpulse.com]

open windows log file with Userassist 2.5.0.0

[www.downloadcrew.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 02:02PM by WhiteHat.
January 16, 2014 06:24PM
How to disable permission to read 'System Fonts' in Firefox (and Chrome) using Flash (scripts only can check for a known font, if it's there) and set other privacy rules: reasonable if there are non standard fonts, which can identify user through google fingerprint method by watching youtube contents.

Adobe Flash Player Administration - Adobe Flash Player Administration Guide for Flash Player 12
[www.adobe.com]

C:\...\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg
e.g.
AssetCacheSize=0
AutoUpdateDisable=1
AVHardwareDisable=1
DisableDeviceFontEnumeration=1
DisableSockets=1
FileDownloadDisable=1
FileUploadDisable=1
LocalFileReadDisable=1
LocalStorageLimit=1
OverrideGPUValidation=1
ProtectedMode=0
SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0
ThirdPartyStorage=0

How avoid insecurities of Adobe Reader?
Multiple Vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader and Acrobat Could Allow For Remote Code Execution and other threats.
Alternative: Sumatra PDF -- [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2014 02:50PM by WhiteHat.
January 23, 2014 12:01PM
Firefox: If the boxes for "Block Reported Attack Sites" and "Block Reported Web Forgeries" are checked then there should be a .txt file with unique Google IDs.
Only used for anti-pishing management???
C:\Users\Benutzer\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\urlclassifierkey3.txt
content e.g.
clientkey:24:GhoDWEi7rt1mnYwnInRu7J==
wrappedkey:100:ALEgNisfx_qJPmxfsu88zfuINON1683R77snhVvH-Zc6fY58W5pzUdW8zGbuFRCauxaj2OIs9aABKPkJayMllmn2byG1zkpcTg==
[bugzilla.mozilla.org]

How to avoid IDs or infections in browsers:
Develop the browser as it is liked, download everything again, install offline, burn to CD, copy to computer all directories at startup (batch del, robocopy, attrib) and run FF in Sandboxie to prevent infections by visiting malicious websites.

Check browser ssl capabilities:
[www.fortify.net]
then:
If you wish to test your browser's encryption capabilities, then: ---->click here.
or:
[www.fortify.net]

Check browser
[www.syscape.com]
[ip-check.info]
Check AdBlock Plus add on, if it works
[simple-adblock.com]

check out browser fingerprint
[www.browserleaks.com]
- Your Fingerprint - Signature e.g. 36F2AC79 - Found in DB ✔ True
fingerprint is made by html5 canvas element, doesn't care user agent, plugins, add ons, anything
fingerprint is nearly unique, depends on hardware and software
only way to stop (not working on all websites) disable scripts using e.g. 'QuickJS 1.1' ('Flash Disable 0.9.3' is recommended as well)
try disable Firefox hardware acceleration, WebGL in Firefox about:config
[www.browserleaks.com]

HTML5 and Security on the New Web - Promise and problems for privacy and security - Sandboxing and permissions
... One question we’re asking is how sandboxing and isolation models of browsers will evolve for HTML5. Many browsers work to prevent distribution of malware by isolating themselves from the operating system using sandboxing.
Your browser will be able to access local data, break out of the sandbox, and capture data via your media devices or your location. When your browser does these things at the same time as you visit a website that’s been infected with nasty attack code, it’s a bad combination. There’s not a great deal of definition on how the permissions model will work here, but with the browser becoming more capable, the security model needs to become more multi-dimensional...
[www.sophos.com]

Browser isolation from the operating system should be in any case a good solution, because of malware threats getting steadily worse. Light weight virtuell systems can run on any computer (small Quad CPU recommended, or change CPU to Quad, if possibe - on Ebay may be keen price - and worth at all for any reason). It can be used only for internet or testing progs either.
[forums.peerblock.com]

Edited 19 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2014 01:10PM by WhiteHat.
March 31, 2014 12:36PM
Back up & Restore Boot Sector & MBR with HDHacker

Master Boot Record (MBR) tells your computer what to do when it starts. Sometimes viruses or other OS setup can overwrite
the MBR/Boot Sectors.
[www.thewindowsclub.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 04:09PM by WhiteHat.
Anonymous User
April 23, 2014 10:11PM
I've scaled back on my security and only use avast (free). I uninstalled Malwarebytes, disabled Defender, and disabled Windows FW for a customize implementation of PeerBlock. I recommend downloading Privazer and running it at least weekly. It's a performance booster, system cleaner, and shredder all in one... and it's free.
June 07, 2014 10:59AM
I don't know, if it is part of Privazer, so here:

ShellBags keys may contain information concerning your activities on folders :
1. names and paths of folders you opened on your PCs (even if the folder has been deleted)
2. detailed timestamp info, creation time, modification time, access time
That's really a privacy issue.

[privazer.com]

[betanews.com]

If you use BTF-Sniffer, than it isn't needed (part of BTF-Sniffer)
[home.arcor.de]
[www.ghacks.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 01:53PM by WhiteHat.
June 10, 2014 02:01PM
Firefox privacy add on made by experts of Electronic Frontier Foundation

[www.eff.org]

Just created, may be it works quite well but I guess some more development is needed for accurate overall function.
December 05, 2014 04:21PM
Malwarebytes is the boy, it does the job everytime for multiple 'wares' =)

Peerblock for the win
April 03, 2015 01:33PM
Update
Canvas-Fingerprinting
check on [www.browserleaks.com]

Connected servers (Websites) produces/reads-out a unique fingerprint of users computer by HTML5 API canvas element (using Script), doesn't care user agent, plugins, add ons, anything.
The fingerprint is unique, depends on hardware, operation system and kind of browser family.

It's the most value tool for companies and sites like google, to identifier every user any time again.

Firefox newer vers. - add on 'CANVASBLOCKER' - [addons.mozilla.org]

Options:
o alles blockieren: everything blocked
o nur Einträge der Whitelist erlauben: on whitelist allowed
o um Erlaubnis fragen: asking for permission
o Auslese-API blockieren: can be used but not readout
o Auslese-API vortäuschen: fake readout api mode, give always another random ID back
o bei Auslese-API um Erlaubnis fragen: asking for permission, when should be readout
o nur Einträge der Blacklist blockieren: on blacklist blocked

Boxes:
Nur einmal nachfragen: ask only once
Aufrufende Datei anzeigen: display calling application/file
Kompletten Aufrufestack anzeigen: display calling stack
>canvas> in PDF erlauben: in PDF allowed

[venturebeat.com]
Funny, venturebeat.com uses fingerprints too.
September 09, 2015 03:03PM
BTW: TRUSTe Tracker Protection

[www.truste.com]

[addons.mozilla.org]
September 21, 2015 08:57AM
How to determine / identify which process / what app is generating network traffic?

Process Monitor - Procmon.exe (Mark Russinovich)
[technet.microsoft.com]

Uncheck buttons:
Show Registry Activity
Show File System Activity
Show Process and Thread Activity

Leave only:
Show Network Activity
October 31, 2015 08:43PM
BitMeter 3.6

[de.download.cnet.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 04:10PM by WhiteHat.
November 19, 2015 10:35AM
RAMMap v1.4 - [technet.microsoft.com]
By Mark Russinovich
Published: October 26, 2015

Have you ever wondered exactly how Windows is assigning physical memory, how much file data is cached in RAM, or how much RAM is used by the kernel and device drivers? RAMMap makes answering those questions easy. RAMMap is an advanced physical memory usage analysis utility for Windows Vista and higher. It presents usage information in different ways on its several different tabs:
Use Counts: usage summary by type and paging list
Processes: process working set sizes
Priority Summary: prioritized standby list sizes
Physical Pages: per-page use for all physical memory
Physical Ranges: physical memory addresses
File Summary: file data in RAM by file
File Details: individual physical pages by file
March 06, 2016 12:18PM
URL-Scanner: Check a URL/link or website: phishing, malware/viruses, unwanted software
[www.urlvoid.com]
[online.us.drweb.com]
[onlinelinkscan.com]
[sitecheck.sucuri.net]
[urlscan.chanret.com]
[www.virustotal.com]
[www.metadefender.com]
[zulu.zscaler.com]
[www.ssllabs.com]

File scanner: Virus, trojans, unwanted programs, ...
[www.virustotal.com]
[virscan.org]
[www.metadefender.com]

Which cookies does a site use?
Use our tool to check which cookies are set and used by sites. Find out what the purpose is for each cookie and take action. Our tool helps you to detect privacy issues and comply with the EU cookie law.
[webcookies.org]

Analyze suspicious URLs, Windows executable files, and Android APK files and receive a malware analysis report.
Submit your Windows executable or Android APK and receive an analysis report telling you what it does.
Executes apps in a sandbox and provides a detailed report on their behavior, including file access, network access, crypto operations, dynamic code loading, registry entries and information leaks.
[anubis.iseclab.org]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 04:14PM by WhiteHat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login