Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Barefruit Ltd annoyance

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Barefruit Ltd annoyance
December 20, 2011 08:49AM
Hi All,
Long time user of Peer block and love it,thanks.
However I have noticed just recently that "Barefruit Ltd" is constantly being blocked (which is great that Peer block is doing its job.)
But does anybody know what Barefruit Ltd is and how to stop it from trying to connect to the internet continually?
My apologies if this has been discussed already but couldn't find it in any of the forums.
Running Windows 7 on a laptop with a wireless connection. Comodo firewall. Comcast ISP
Thanks for any help with this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 08:50AM by smoaky.
Re: Barefruit Ltd annoyance
December 20, 2011 10:48PM
Anonymous User
December 27, 2011 03:47AM
I have done that. I was hoping that somebody can tell me how to stop Barefruit Ltd. from trying to connect outbound.It only happens on my wireless connection. Never on my wired ethernet connected PC's
Yes I have tried to block outbound connection from my firewall.
January 07, 2012 12:48PM
Its prolly software on your computer. is there any specific ip(s) associated with the name.
Anonymous User
January 08, 2012 12:19PM
Thanks for your reply
There are specific ip's associated with it.
I tracked it down and it looks like it is my ISP (Comcast) trying to send outbound traffic. Have no idea why. Maybe trying to see what I am downloading???
Anyway I am going to continue to block it. It is none of Comcast business what I do !!!!
Anonymous User

January 12, 2012 04:05AM
Barefruit intercepts and redirects search traffic with cooperation by some ISPs who manipulate their DNS servers for a share of the revenue.

You might be able to evade this by putting search sites (google.com, etc.) into your HOSTS cache so your PC does not use DNS to find them.
Anonymous User
Re:  
January 12, 2012 10:07AM
Aaron.Walkhouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Barefruit intercepts and redirects search traffic
> with cooperation by some ISPs who manipulate their
> DNS servers for a share of the revenue.
>
> You might be able to evade this by putting search
> sites (google.com, etc.) into your HOSTS cache so
> your PC does not use DNS to find them.

Thanks for the info
Sounds interesting.How do I do this?
Anonymous User
Re:  
January 26, 2012 10:00AM
I have this problem as well. Also using AVG DNS option. Wonder if there is a connection. Also, seemeed to stop when NoScript was installed on Firefox ... so far.
Anonymous User
May 06, 2012 06:33PM
I had the same "problem" and the reply of Aaron.Walkhouse regarding DNS servers hit me on the idea ! I installed in the past Comodo Firewall and let it changed my DNS server to Comodo's secured DNS server. I returned it to ISP controlled and the result was, that Barefruit Ltd. never shown up in Peerblock anymore smiling smiley
Anonymous User

May 20, 2012 05:47PM
The HOSTS cache is this file ==> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS

Open it in a text editor and add lines like the examples provided, for example Google would be:

74.125.157.99 google.com

That's all it needs. To find the IP addresses for each site use FastResolver from NirSoft. [www.nirsoft.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login