Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PeerBlock blocks local police IP.... Am I in trouble?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
PeerBlock blocks local police IP.... Am I in trouble?
January 31, 2012 10:48AM
I just had a friend rebuild my laptop the other day, and while he was doing it... I complained about not being able to watch the first 2 seasons of a show, and he told me to get with the times and just Torrent it.

After my computer was done, I decided to do that... I figured it wouldn't be a big deal as it's an older show and I just want to see season 1 and 2 before watching season 3 on TV (The first 2 seasons are not available on DVD, Season 1 used to be on netflix but isn't anymore. Downloading was my only option to see them.), I also downloaded half of an older small release (I.e. not a big theater release) movie.

I downloaded PeerBlock because I have heard it would help make things a little safer, and all was fine (Other then some seemingly random blocks from companies like Sony, probably looking for their own products) until I saw tonight that I had blocked an IP that was labeled "********** COUNTY SHERRIF" (Which is a county near me, but not the one I am in.).

Please forgive me for not being as knowledgable on PeerBlock as I'd like to be.... But what does this mean? Is it probably just a random hit? Or does this mean that they are specifically interested in me?

In other words....How much should I be panicking right now?

Thanks all, and sorry if this is a stupid question...

EDIT: after looking into this a bit more.. I realized that the source is nearly my IP address (A few numbers changed on the end+ a couple extra), and the desitnation is the Sheriff's office. So, Does this mean they are watching me... or my computer is ratting me out?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 11:37AM by Uhoh.
Anonymous User
Re: PeerBlock blocks local police IP.... Am I in trouble?
January 31, 2012 05:19PM
You can look for the app, that established the specific connection.

If you are win 7 user, you can take the 'Resource Monitor'.
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Resource Monitor (or jump out of task manager). Choose network and look for the program. May be, you have to disable PeerBlock in that moment, you see the blocked IP and simultaneously observe the 'Resource Monitor'.
January 31, 2012 06:08PM
Hi, welcome to the forums.

PeerBlock does not support copyright infringement and cannot guarantee 100% protection - [www.peerblock.com]

In other words....How much should I be panicking right now?

You are downloading copyrighted material (tv shows/music/movies/programs/games/ect...), I'd recommend you stop before possibly getting a letter from your ISP for copyright infringement.
Anonymous User
February 01, 2012 02:47AM
I couldn't do as PBchecker suggested, as my computer was shut off last night and so I couldn't check the RM for last night (Or at least don't know how to).

I did look up the IP address and found out that it's NOT the county near me, but another county in the midwest with the exact same name, so that makes me feel a little better. If I see it again, I will run Resource monitor on it and see what's going on.

But yeah, I am done downloading movies, now. I only did the one because I was being impatient with Blockbuster holding it as a "very long wait", but now I will just wait until it is available on my pass!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login