Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying to learn

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Trying to learn
March 08, 2012 02:15AM
Hi,
I'm simply trying to learn about this whole p2p scene, and about programs like Peerblock.
I may show up in this particular forum asking elementary/naive questions. Bear with me.
I choose to use the p2p block list and the Russian block list, since I don't trust them.
Why does "Russian Federation" keep showing in the loglist, and with numerous IPs?
What are they trying to do, and why? That's the name of the Russian nation, I believe.
What do Russian government probers want with lillo' me? TIA
ZAKKO
Re: Trying to learn
March 08, 2012 12:31PM
Please see:

[forums.peerblock.com]

[www.peerblock.com]

"Russian Federation" is what all the Russian IP's are called inside the I-Blocklist Russian list.

If you are torrenting, that could be why, since Russian seeders/leechers could be trying to connect to you.
Anonymous User
March 16, 2012 10:32PM
OK, I think I got that. But what I'm not understanding is:
There are outgoing connection attempts being made FROM the SOURCE(my pc system via my wireless
router) TO various DESTINATIONS.
Q1- Why are these various entities(that are listed on iblock blocklists) sending out connection requests
FROM my pc system in the first place?
Q2- What are these entities even doing there? I use uTorrent occasionally, but these companies are sending
out these connection request attempts at all times.
I realize there are trojans that turn a pc into a bot controlled by the bad guys, but that is not whats happening
here. Performance Systems Int., L3, Russian Federation, Tribal Fusion, etc etc. These are not botmasters,
Yet the log shows them as 'Range', my wifi routers IP as 'Source', and an IP address as 'Destination'.
Am I just totally misreading the log, or not understanding the meaning of what the log is displaying to me?
Thanks in advance for any clarification offered for my noobie confusion. And I am very much liking Peerblock.
Zakko
Anonymous User
July 31, 2012 05:40PM
This problem is also happening to me too. I recently started using Peerblock and I blocked China and Russia IP's from the iblocklist. I have some random China blocks every now and then, but I keep getting this weird set of OUTGOING signals to "Russian Federation". This is coming from my computer and going to a number of different IP addresses. Trusting that the block list is accurate in assigning that IP to a Russian IP, I am a bit concerned. I have antivirus scan daily and I have run a complete scan with Malwarebytes, but both are clean. Any ideas what this could be?

I don't use torrents or P2P, I simply wanted to block connections from outsiders to my PC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login