Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pleasant surprise - making my browser usable while using utorrent

Posted by Anonymous User 
Even though I am from Romania, where everything is much more lax when it comes to "torrenting", I decided to use PeerBlock as a precautionary measure. Took a few minutes to figure out how to use it and all was good.

After I started uTorrent, I liked watching the list of blocked IPs just scroll continuously. Anyway, I returned to browsing the web only to find something that hadn't happened before using PeerBlock. I could actually browse the net.

What I mean by this is, as some of you may know, using a torrent client while browsing the web can cause pages to load quite slowly sometimes.
So here I was, waiting, ready to stop some torrents for even youtube to work, for example, and I noticed that it wasn't the case anymore. Even with 120 torrents uploading (it slowed my browser either way, downloading/uploading), everything was fine. Maybe PeerBlock also blocked some addresses that would have otherwise bogged down my PC's internet connection.

On a sidenote, it was a software/Windows issue, as my theoretical max internet speed is 100mbs and I also had this issue using both my old router and my new one (which is properly configured).

So, anyway, just thought I'd share this.

Also, a sort of unrelated issue arose after I installed PeerBlock (and modified some settings in uTorrent the day before, so the actual cause can be either one), after a few hours I got a "an operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full" error in uTorrent and all my webpages (in Firefox) wouldn't load.
Every page I opened just said New Tab and was blank.
Apparently this has to do with Windows XP running out of TCP buffers, which, for anyone interested, can be fixed using - [support.microsoft.com].

Vitesse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login