Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I think that I've downloaded PeerBlock to late.

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
I think that I've downloaded PeerBlock to late.
December 10, 2009 10:19AM
Hi all.

I'm a noob here who should of waited for something like this program before jumping straight into it.

I received a Copyright Infringement notice today which I think was just a wake up call to let me know that the internet is here only for reading the newspaper on, or for some of those who like playing games online and nothing else.

So tell me, why do we need super speed Internet if we can't use it for anything that is of interest, just about everything that is on the net is copyrighted, after that, it doesn't leave you very much.

Thank You,

Samson.
Re: I think that I've downloaded PeerBlock to late.
December 10, 2009 11:31AM
Hi Samson, welcome to the forums!

I use the internet for all sorts of things;

• Web browsing
  • YouTube
  • Linux (i download so many distros just to try them!)
  • Creative Commons content (movies and music mainly)
  • iView (an australian watch TV on the internet thing)
  • Gaming
  • streaming radio
I'm sure there's heaps more, but i can't think of them right now!

I can think of other uses that i don't personally do;

• Data Backup
  • Web photo albums
  • buying games (often huge downloads involved)
  • on demand 'rental' movies
  • IPTV

So there are many many valid reasons to use huge amounts of data monthly perfectly legally!

Cheers!
December 10, 2009 06:58PM
Its BS just ignore those. They just want you scared.
December 11, 2009 03:32AM
That too... winking smiley
December 11, 2009 04:40AM
Got darn near a hundred of em this year...
December 11, 2009 05:28AM
Heya Samson.

Sorry to hear that you received such notice. I've personally yet to receive such notice myself, but DarC and hoodadilly might be right about it. Using scare tactics to manipulate your internet behaviour. If you'd like to have some sort of ease of mind, you may want to look up the your country's laws and their stands regarding these matters.

I think you pretty much listed all the reasons why having a fast internet speed could come in handy, hoodadilly. I'd also like to add that having fast internet would also enable you to share with other members of your household. No fighting over between the family regarding bandwidth =).
December 11, 2009 10:37PM
i agree with the scare tactics, only get worried when that letter comes from a lawfirm. odds are highly against it unless your the source of the torrent, they are usually only willing to pay the legal monies to bring down the "big dawgs" not us little people, theyd go bankrupt trying to do that and possibly start the "internet is for the people by the people" movement premature.
Anonymous User
December 11, 2009 11:30PM
It's an on going war between a group who wants to make money and the other group who wants to save money. Their will always be a contention between the two and the group who want to make money has somewhat successfully taken matters to the court to create laws to satisfy their greedy desires. However, there is another group who stands to make money by promoting p2p activities. An example would be the advertisers who promote p2p websites because of the enormous amounts of hits they receive from users and members visiting the sites on a daily basis.

Because of these different parties are at war with one another, it is my opinion that software is necessary to protect us from those who wish to do us harm to suite their own purposes. Scare tactics will be used in the war against p2p and probably won't be going anywhere soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2009 11:32PM by TOF.
December 12, 2009 05:23PM
This is one way to put it.. Its the best example I can give. Why Pay your Cash to be spied on. If your ISP is so intent on spying on you. Go with their competition. If their competition starts spying on you. Drop them. You should not be paying to have your lines tapped.
Anonymous User
January 13, 2010 07:52PM
DarC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is one way to put it.. Its the best example I
> can give. Why Pay your Cash to be spied on. If
> your ISP is so intent on spying on you. Go with
> their competition. If their competition starts
> spying on you. Drop them. You should not be paying
> to have your lines tapped.

I must agree. I got off the "Verizon" grid and now use a cable ISP. Obvious reasons, such as speed, were a huge factor, I will admit. But also the nature of the company. I will not get into that here.

However, even with my recent (6 months) switch to cable ISP, using PeerBlock as naturally as you would drink a glass of water, I have seen such disturbing block logs, that I shudder to think of what is happening to Joe Six-Pack, or Auntie-Em, who do not have the time to invest in learning about Internet Security

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 07:53PM by SupraCeed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login