Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glad I found you - New User

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Glad I found you - New User
December 19, 2009 01:50AM
I am glad that Mark decided to upgrade his os to a 64bit one cuz it gave birth to Peerblock. Thank you Mark and Team.

Downloaded Peerblock last night and started using it immediately. Installation was simple and thats how it ought to be. Since then I have surfed and used p2p and opened PB to see the activity going ons and its pretty shocking to see the number of people trying to access your computer, monitor and track your activities! Does the word, privacy hold any meaning anymore? The dictionary says it does but in practice its not, our privacy is taken away from us often without out knowledge.Hence Peerblock must surely be an invaluable tool that every pc ought to have installed. I know I will install PB on every computer I have for sure.

I saw mediasentry and other "anti p2p" connections trying to get in but were blocked. Even my own isp with the word "suspicious activity" was blocked. The moment I closed my client, they stopped. wow! I am pretty sure my country government is also snooping and high chance they are not blocked. How can they be included on the balcklist?

A few questions or nice to have features would be,

- Is my IP addresses seen by others or is it blocked by PB?
- Can my ISP see the places I visit?
- Can my ISP see what I am downloading and sharing?
- What does source and destination mean?

It would be great if PB blocks/changes my seen IP address and if PB users can take back their privacy by not letting their ISP know where they visit and what they download and share. Perhaps some plug-ins could become available to enable these features. Pretty sure many would like to enforce the defined meaning of their privacy.

Again, thank you Mark and Team for Peerblock. I will recommend this to all. smiling smiley
Re: Glad I found you - New User
December 19, 2009 07:33AM
This program blocks bad people from connecting your computer via lists.
This program can not block your ISP or you will not be able to connect to them for internet access.
This program does not encrypt any stream coming or going so most likely they could see what your downloading.
Source is where the connection is coming from initially destination is where its headed. If blocked it cant get there.

You ISP uses a method called DHCP to assign you an IP address. Peerblock can not change this nor could any plug in.
If you wish to remain totally anonymous and have your IP masked. A good Proxy in a different country would be your best bet. One with an encrypting connection. (This way you can hide from your ISP as well)

Other then this we cant offer much. The list(s) that PB uses are compiled by people who spider the net looking for unique IP's that are labeled in connection to the person(s) who you would not like to have connection to. (ie MPAA)

As authors of this program all we can say is if you are doing something illegal then you might want to look into that proxy idea or a VPN with similar benefits. Two I know of are [btguard.com] for proxy and [itshidden.com] for VPN.

But we don't condone illegal activity online!!!

Peerblocks main intention is to be a proactive defense against spies trying to get info about you and your activities online.
Its far from perfect but it does help a number of people.

Please remember this when you go to download anything illegally.
There are hundreds of free alternatives to almost every piece of Proprietary Software and Movies are just a couple of bucks to rent. As for Music [mp3sale.ru] is one of the cheapest sites on the net for music of any genre.

Enjoy and be safe.

And welcome to the forum.

~DarC

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 07:38AM by DarC.
Anonymous User
December 20, 2009 02:34AM
Hi DarC. You are spot on about illegal activities and those 2 links looks interesting. I will check them out. Still love PB smiling smiley
December 20, 2009 03:50AM
Hi frangi, welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the praise, glad to hear PeerBlock's working well for you!  We definitely appreciate you recommending us to your friends; that's the primary way we've been growing thus far. 

If you end up running into any problems, or if you come up with any suggestions for new features or anything, definitely let us know!  Can't make any promises of course - especially for things that we just can't do, such as, well, most of the stuff you'd suggested up above smiling smiley - but we're always interested in hearing new ideas and such.

Take care,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
December 21, 2009 12:46PM
Thank you Mark for the warm welcome. I do feel at home here.

I tried the itshidden VPN free trial and found the service poor. I got disconnected more times then I care to mentioned. All I can say is, give it a try.

I then google for vpn services and found this, www.hotspotshield.com, its free vpn and so far found it working far better than itshidden. Well give it a try.
Anonymous User
December 23, 2009 10:44PM
A little word of caution about Itshidden. If you don't want to use it anymore, tough! It will remain as an option in your connect to network tab for six months before they drop you. And yes, disconnects are a big frequent pain.
Anonymous User
December 24, 2009 01:54AM
Me again. I forgot to introduce myself as a new user, so hello. if I may ask a question: like others I am a little drop jawed at the number of sites and bots,or whatever, trying to get into my laptop's pants, but I need to let Microsoft Security Essentials get in and out. I tried allowing the newest block for 15 minutes(I think it was BBC?), but that didn't work. I had to disable Peerblock to do it. Does someone who runs Vista 64(if that matters) know the IP for WSE? Much appreciated, and, of course, Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!
December 24, 2009 03:24AM
Well hi string, and welcome to the forums! smiling smiley

I don't use MSE myself, but as a heavy-handed approach you could always simply unblock all Microsoft IP addresses using a list such as the Microsoft list provided by iblocklist.com.  Barring that, I'd say you should look through your History for any Microsoft entries - I'd assume that whatever MSE needs would show up as being Microsoft in nature. 

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, it may be a good idea to start up a new forum on here specifically for any app-specific problems/solutions...  That way we can start to collect peoples' notes on what they had to allow to get particular programs to work, and make it easier for the next person to find that same info.  Could even eventually result in some new program-specific lists we could generate.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you too! smiling smiley

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2009 03:25AM by MarkSide.
December 24, 2009 02:18PM
MarkSide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, it may
> be a good idea to start up a new forum on here
> specifically for any app-specific
> problems/solutions...  That way we can start to
> collect peoples' notes on what they had to allow
> to get particular programs to work, and make it
> easier for the next person to find that same
> info.  Could even eventually result in some new
> program-specific lists we could generate.

Very much agreed! That sounds like a great idea to me.

> Oh, and Merry Christmas to you too! smiling smiley

Merry Christmas to everyone!
December 24, 2009 11:32PM
MarkSide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, it may
> be a good idea to start up a new forum on here
> specifically for any app-specific
> problems/solutions...  That way we can start to
> collect peoples' notes on what they had to allow
> to get particular programs to work, and make it
> easier for the next person to find that same
> info.  Could even eventually result in some new
> program-specific lists we could generate.

i agree and i suggested this a couple of months ago, hope it gets implemented soon. iblocklist.com doesnt have everything and it would be nice to surf the web with http blocked all the time instead of me having to unblock it when i open my web browser, merry xmas all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2009 11:32PM by brandonjm8.
Anonymous User
January 03, 2010 02:22AM
This is my easy guide for anyone who is lost. I have been a user for just over a year between PG with XP, PB Vista and now w 7. I hope this is good info for people wanting to make their own lists or not sure how to take advantage of the tools they have. THANK YOU PG/PB!!! You folks keep up the hard work keeping us all secure!
Attachments:
open | download - PeerBlock User Guide By Soap PUBLIC.jpg (570.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login