Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

source confusion

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
source confusion
December 20, 2009 03:57AM
Hey all.

I'm a recent new user of PB (about a week) and I have to say first off: Many, many kudos to the dev team for reviving such a uniquely usefull app.

I am, however, just slightly confused. Since I first installed PB, I've been watching very closely the connections being blocked, and it appears that every single one is originating from my router (eg. 192.168.xx.xx). NOT A SINGLE ONE appears to originate from any other source. Does this mean I'm being pinged by various machines and PeerBlock is logging the outgoing blocked ping reply, but not the incoming one? Why would it do that? Is that a setting I can change? The destinations range from telecoms to anti-p2p to foreign governments and Microsoft. While I am happy that my computer is not communicating with these machines I am puzzled as to why I appear to be initiating contact with, say, MediaSentry or ARAMCO.

I run 5 lists and other than the above post I am thoroughly amped about this program. Keep up the good work and THANK YOU.
Re: source confusion
December 20, 2009 04:26AM
Heya FrankRizzo.

Source usually means where the connection was originated from and Destination means where the connection is going to. At least that is how I understand. Is the source IP of your router or of your computer? If it's your router coming to your computer, the Destination should've shown your own computer's IP. I assume the IP in question is from your computer.

Only speculation I can give is that it's your own computer initiating the attempt to communicate to these different companies. If it really were some ping-reply, there has to be a someone doing the initiative on communicating to your computer first. PeerBlock would've blocked the income call since it checks both the source and destination from your lists. Perhaps you have some sort applications or software installed that are attempting to communicate to through the internet.
Anonymous User
December 20, 2009 04:47AM
Tippy,

Yes, I was unclear. The source IP is my computer. I am confused though because every blocked attempt seems to come from my computer, and as far as I know, I'm not running any softs that are trying to connect out ( I even kill processes for my expired Mcafee, windows update, any type of task scheduler, any non-essential Microsoft, etc.), and I always try to run as lean as possible. Unfortunately, I use a Vista machine (i dont like it, want to install XP Pro), but no Internet Explorer. I wondered if mabey I had PB somehow set not to display incoming attempts, just outgoing? Is that possible?
December 20, 2009 04:57AM
I do not think it's possible to set up PeerBlock to display only either incoming or outgoing attempts. I may be wrong. I can't think of any other reason why your machine would attempt to initiate connection since you're already controlling them processes like that. Do you have any idea exactly when or how does this connection attempt happens?
Anonymous User
December 20, 2009 04:58AM
ive set my prefs in PB to display all traffic and doing whois lookups on anything i dont recognize. mabey that will help
Anonymous User
December 20, 2009 05:02AM
Certain ones are obvious. For instance if I'm surfing the WWW and can't access a page and my PB icon flashes in the tray, OK I get that. I'll investigate further and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the help smiling smiley
Anonymous User
December 20, 2009 05:18AM
OK, well it appears that I'm talking to machines in Cambridge, MA and Czech Republic, of all places (I'm in Missourri) so I fixed that. Still, not as many incoming connections as I thought there'd be, allowed or no. I p2p alot, so I'm very paranoid of the media police.
Anonymous User
December 20, 2009 05:55AM
An interesting addition to the program would be the ability to see what program or process initiates an outbound connection. It might add a troubleshooting element to PB. I'm not a programmer so I don't know if that's feasible or not. Mabey thats too much like a firewall.
December 20, 2009 06:07AM
Such addition has been suggested and is being tracked at here (link to issue #16: [code.google.com] ). As MarkSide would probably say something along the lines of: "If you're interested in this feature you should Star that issue, as when we're prioritizing what to work on next we use the number of Stars an item has as an indication of how interested our user community is in something. No guarantees of course, but we generally try to prioritize things that people care most about."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login