Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I know pb is working?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
How do I know pb is working?
January 10, 2010 09:43AM
Hello experts, first time user.

I've read some of the FAQ's on how to use this program and I'm not sure if the one I'm using is working. One of the ways to test was to test G E's ip address by pinging it. I tried that and am getting request timed out when the FAQ's say I should be getting Destination host unreachable on XP. I'm using windows 2003 so I should have the same results as XP.

I installed the program on a visita machine and the message I get when I try to ping G e 's site is Request Timed Out when FAQ's says I should be getting a General Failure message.

The FAQ's also go on to say that the site you tried to ping should show up in the program as being blocked which mine does.

Does this sound like it is working for me?

Thanks in advance.
Re: How do I know pb is working?
January 10, 2010 10:04AM
Heya Rashar.

If PeerBlock registers that your pinging was being blocked, it means that it is indeed working.
fxm
January 10, 2010 10:32AM
Rashar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> getting request timed out

If you are getting "Request timed out." PB is NOT blocking that address.
January 10, 2010 10:43AM
He did mention using Windows 2003 Server. I assumed in case that they may have different error message for pinging than XP/Vista/7. He also did mention that PeerBlock did register his ping attempt as blocked.
Anonymous User
January 18, 2010 09:52PM
sorry, can someone illustrate how to "ping"...i have not had to do that in such a long time...i forget the proper way to do it. its done from the command prompt..is that correct? i apologize for these dumb "newbie" questions. thanks for any and all assistance
January 18, 2010 10:47PM
Heya maniacal.

Yes, pinging can be done through command prompt. For instance write "ping www.google.com" into the command prompt. As a side note, you can't ping to everywhere. Some may have firewall setting to disable ICMP attempt.
January 19, 2010 12:35AM
easiest way and the way we have in our FAQ is to goto command prompt and type "ping 3.0.0.0" w/o the quotes and a space between ping and 3, if you get a general failure then PB is working properly, if you get request timed out then PB isnt working.

3.0.0.0 is GE i.e. General Electric and is in the default lists.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 12:36AM by brandonjm8.
Anonymous User
January 23, 2010 02:05PM
When I try this test, something (a window?) flashes by on the screen too fast to see. How can I keep that window which, I assume, will tell me if it is blocking or not?
January 23, 2010 05:43PM
Sounds like you're just doing Start -> Run, then typing in "ping 3.0.0.0" (without the quotes, of course).  What you need to do is first bring up a command prompt.  You can do this by doing Start -> Run, "cmd", or by going through Start ->Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.  (On XP)  That will open up a little Command Prompt window, into which you can now type in "ping 3.0.0.0" and see the results. 

Alternatively you can do Start -> Run, "ping -t 3.0.0.0".  The "-t" option will have Ping continuously run instead of only trying 4 times and then exiting.  You can then either close the window via the X button, or press Ctrl+C while in that window to stop the ping from running.

Hope that helps,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
January 23, 2010 07:55PM
I get "destination host unreachable". Is this the message which would indicate a "general failure" and thus PB is working?
January 23, 2010 11:20PM
it sounds as if its working, does it appear in your history blocked log or in main page as blocked? GE i.e. General Electric that is? if it does than it seems its working. but i am unfamiliar with that response so maybe someone who is can verify what i said.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login