Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How PeerBlock compares to Hostman.

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
How PeerBlock compares to Hostman.
January 11, 2010 12:58PM
In the past, I have used "HostsMan", a Freeware program.
It is a program that blocks bad internet addresses.
It alters the HOSTS file, on one's computer (without having to do so manually).

It seems like HostsMan is very similar in function to PeerBlock (if not the same)?

Like PeerBlock, HostsMan can update internet address Lists of bad internet addresses.

I think it would be interesting to know the similarities/differences between HostsMan and PeerBlock
(for example, in a comparison chart of functions or features, that could possibly be put on PeerBlock's website).

The Homepage for HostsMan is [www.abelhadigital.com]

This internet page: [fileforum.betanews.com]
...says about HostsMan: HostsMan "BETA (July 6, 2009)
Windows 2000/2003/9x/XP / Freeware /
HostsMan is a freeware application that lets you manage your Hosts file with ease. Features online update of hosts file; enable/disable usage of hosts file; open Hosts file with one click; merge two hosts files; built-in hosts editor; prevent other programs of writing to the hosts; scan hosts for errors, duplicates and possible hijacks; find how many host names; easily install newly downloaded hosts file; create encrypted backups of your hosts file; resolve host names; keep log of latest blocked sites; exclusion list and more."

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 02:08PM by sos5.
Re: How PeerBlock compares to Hostman.
January 11, 2010 02:10PM
You might find [forums.peerblock.com] helpful. That question has been pretty much answered before. Feel free to ask if there's any additional questions.
Re: How PeerBlock compares to Hostman.
January 11, 2010 02:23PM
Heya sos5.

I'm not sure does this thread belong to this section (this isn't exactly a technical issue-related post), but nevertheless I'll try answering your question with best of my ability and knowledge. I haven't try that software out though.

Let me start by explaining a bit of HOSTS file. This is a simple text file used to map hostnames to IP address. So whenever you computer is sending data towards a named address, it'll check from your HOSTS file before sending a query to any name servers to find out the IP address. To elaborate, this is an example how it goes:

1st Case: you write "www.anime-source.com" on your browser address bar and press Enter:
1) Attempting to connect to www.anime-source.com
2) Check HOSTS file for the IP address of www.anime-source.com
3) Found IP address 66.103.20.179 from HOSTS file. Jump to step 6.
4) If IP address not found on step 3, query to name servers for the IP address.
5) Found IP address 66.103.20.179 from some name server.
6) Connect to 66.103.20.179 with appropriate header information.

2nd Case: you write "66.103.20.179" on your browser address bar and press Enter:
1) Connect to 66.103.20.179 with not much header information (if any at all).

Go ahead and try above mentioned test case out. That's how I believe HOSTS file works. Now for quick comparison of PeerBlock and HostsMan:
- HostsMan seems to be HOSTS file editor. It edits the HOSTS file in your computer system. As far as I know, there's no way to control port via HOSTS. Then again, some if not most wouldn't want to access the blocked sites in any way.
- PeerBlock blocks transmissions by their IP address while HostsMan helps blocking by the domain name addresses. As I elaborated from the above test case, it is the IP addresses that determines your connection. Your computer won't check your HOSTS file if the address is given in IP address (someone with more knowledge on networking is more than welcome to correct me here).
- Using the previous revelation, HostsMan would not help you block incoming connection/transmission due to having no need to check HOSTS file (someone with more knowledge on networking is more than welcome to correct me here) while PeerBlock does.
- Just to mention it since majority of the users of PeerBlock loves torrents. Torrent trackers exchanges information by IP address to let users know where to download from/upload to. Again no need for HOSTS file.

So in short, HostsMan is a software used to edit HOSTS file. PeerBlock is a software used to control data transmissions. Groups and authors that create lists for HostsMan/PeerBlock just gives the users of HostsMan/PeerBlock easier time to have some sort of safety in the internet (kudos to them!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 02:28PM by Tippy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login