Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

advice... PeerBlock has fightened the life out of me!

Posted by dannyb 
advice... PeerBlock has fightened the life out of me!
January 15, 2010 10:55AM
Just looking for quick bit of advice...

i've downloaded torrents for years... although never that regularly. installed peerblock for the first time about a week ago and frankly the kind of network traffic it has been blocking has been a revelation to me. I had no idea how pervasive and invasive the anti-p2p companies are.

they ignorance is bliss and and in my case i think that was very true becuase now i'm too scared to download anything, as everytime i start to download a torrent i begin to see connections from all sorts of scary sounding institutions... for example a few minutes ago i started to see connections from; "Sony Network Taiwan Limited" from 219.85.184.103 and "European Parliment" from 136.173.180.67 to my PC on my torrent port. Even one connection from my own PC to "Phillipine National Police" on 124.107.99.157 !!

All of these have continued even after i have paused the download. Now, i dont think i've ever heard of anyone in this country being prosecuted but it has still made me feel a little nervous about downloading torrents. i have read posts that say as long as it being blocked your safe... but what about connection that might not be being block because they havent been picked up on anti-p2p lists yet??!

Am i being silly aobut this or are my concerns valid.

thanks in advance...
Re: advice... PeerBlock has fightened the life out of me!
January 15, 2010 08:25PM
You're absolutely right - as we freely admit in our Does this mean my P2P downloading is completely safe now? FAQ, a program like PeerBlock is likely never going to be able to provide 100% "protection" for you if you're downloading copyrighted material.  We realize that many people use PeerBlock to do this - and anecdotal evidence suggests that we are in fact helpful - but we're far from a "magic bullet" as far as that goes.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Re: advice... PeerBlock has fightened the life out of me!
January 15, 2010 08:51PM
thanks mark
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 36
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012