Advanced

Why Block Educational Institutions?

Posted by JPokes 
Why Block Educational Institutions?
January 16, 2010 01:22PM
topic ^
Re: Why Block Educational Institutions?
January 16, 2010 04:22PM
My understanding is that the Educational list is primarily meant for people who are on e.g. a university network, and want to prevent the local campus network admins from seeing too much of what they're up to.  I don't use this list myself - if someone else who does can shed better light on its intended use, that would certainly be appreciated!

We've left this list in the Default Lists primarily for historical reasons at this point, because PeerGuardian had it there too...

---  Mark  --- 

Lead developer of PeerBlock
January 20, 2010 07:09PM
MarkSide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My understanding is that the Educational list is
> primarily meant for people who are on e.g. a
> university network, and want to prevent the local
> campus network admins from seeing too much of what
> they're up to.  I don't use this list myself - if
> someone else who does can shed better light on its
> intended use, that would certainly be
> appreciated!
--------------------------------------------------------

Well, maybe I can help.
I just got PeerBlock myself (was using the not-really-working Vista rc of PeerGuardian2 up until today). The main reason for me to get PeerBlock is for this. Many Universities have very unclear rules about bandwidth usage, and are unclear about what is and isn't allowed on the network. My University's pretty much: "Be courteous about your bandwidth, and don't download anything illegal, or we'll throw you to the wolves!". Well, what is courtesy with my bandwidth? Because as far as I can see, the University has more than enough bandwidth to spare.

So I asked a guy at the Student Computing Services office, and he told me straight out, that as long as I'm not torrenting stuff, or downloading like 50 gigs of files every day (in addition to the average bandwidth usage from surfing the net) I'd be fine, because torrenting is the main thing they look for. So, me of course not wanting to give up occasional torrenting, decided to get PeerGuardian2. It didn't work at all on my machine, so I guess they didn't mind me finishing downloading Starcraft on the University network a couple of months ago.

It should be noted however, that with the Edu list on (with PeerBlock), I cannot access my University's website (from an outside connection at least). This makes me wonder if my connection will be effected by this when I go back to campus (i.e. No internet with it on).

So, yes, I use it to attempt to keep the University from watching what I'm doing on the internet.
February 14, 2010 02:04PM
Most the university websites aren't university there telecommunications in other countries that report the findings for a fee to the Untied States government since they by their own law can't watch us they outsource it to people that can. Its a catch 22 kind of law... best to have it turned on if you torrent often or search websites that you might not think are best to be caught on, such as information as to how to "program" -cough- or such other websites that big brother might think are dangerous for people to be on

Licensed Health Insurance Broker In California
Blocking Attempts to Take Away My Privacy & Freedom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2010 02:05PM by ShanHikari.
February 22, 2010 04:33AM
For me as a homeuser it's a mixed emotion, although universities have great speed so people sharing on their connections could be very handy they often use their own personal private torrents/trackers or FTP's not known to outsiders,and they also often have IT expertise and studies in the area, and they do studies to make reports about P2P and invent new anti-P2P measures (sponsored) and experiment with that and then get credit for that and a good job, over the back of the people that become victim of it, so for that reason I also sometimes block universities, too little gain and a certain real risk.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 39
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012