Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can anti-piracy badguys spy even if you download YOUTUBE videos/movies?!?!?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Well, I'm not having enough guts to download via P2P because peerblock though an excellent software cannot block -> 100%

from faq: "In fact some people believe that using blocklists like this are completely useless. Others disagree, and believe that even if it's not 100% safe, it still lets them download files more safely."

"even if the blocklists provided 100% coverage of "bad" ip-addresses, and if blocklists were 100% proven to work, there could still be some bugs in the PeerBlock software that may prevent it from working correctly on your machine"

Well, each and every 'wares' have their own disclaimers in order to prevent legal actions again 'em.

Even from youtube.com: "Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be downloaded, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, or otherwise exploited for any other purposes whatsoever without the prior written consent of the respective owners. YouTube reserves all rights not expressly granted in and to the Website and the Content."

Well, I don't like any THEORETICAL stuffs... Only PRACTICAL... What is happening in REAL life... No! I don't use things that create exploits/vulnerabilities in adobe flashplayer etc and pixelate each and very video you are watching after sometime -> sites like keepvid.com... I'm not lying. Shortly after playing, my Kaspersky Internet Security detected an adobe flashplayer vulnerability. My sister didn't notice this and ruined some of my videos (pixelation multiplies like a bacteria/virus and pixelates the videos you are watching and the pixelated videos serves like a 'host' spreading if played. After updating my flash player again (same version, but well), the problem stopped eventually but was forced to delete those 'host' videos!

it (well, along with vixy.net which I didn't test) is one of the most trusted and heavily used sites.

McAfee Site Advisor: [www.siteadvisor.com] (though it's 'McAfee secure' and automatic diagnosis (now it's TrustedSource web reputation analysis is lot more aggressive and even flagged one of the famous downloading sites, softpedia.com once.) fail to detect, it has lots of experienced users who are not even afraid to flag siteadvisor.com for it's bogus automatic ratings & spurious 'secure' badge and judge like more than 95% correctly.

Web Of trust: [www.mywot.com] (though i don't trust the user comments, I trust WOT's detections mostly (oh! yeah! the opposite of site advisor!!) Well, it is also famous for it's aggressiveness... It rates red/yellow if it does not like the site's principles etc. Eg: Canadian Recording Industry Association: [www.mywot.com] , Scientology: [www.mywot.com] , Recording Industry Association of America: [www.mywot.com] etc. It does rate randomly sometimes! eg. Myspace Canada:
[www.mywot.com] !

Browser Defender: [www.browserdefender.com] (though PC Tools' Threat Expert (http://www.threatexpert.com/) is somewhat okay, the performance of browser defender is not satisfactory.)

Norton Safe Web: [safeweb.norton.com] (complete waste of time to search websites there!)

Google Safe Browsing: [www.google.com] (better, but is not popular like others. It is almost neutral. Even detects many trojans/exploits in it's own google.com: [www.google.com], as a search engine, even yahoo.com has! [www.google.com] but surprisingly, bing.com, Microsoft's latest search engine does not host/serve any malware according to Google! xD

Since I'm kinda allergic to AVG, I didn't check it's Link Scanner. smiling smiley

I did update my flash player to the latest version. Downloaded a single video and played lot of times (like 10 to 15 times) and after that, my videos started pixelating along with images in websites. sad smiley But I think offline pictures (downloaded before the incident) didn't pixelate. smiling smiley

So, I use an addon by name 'Video DownloadHelper', which is also a RECOMMENDED addon. Especially for downloading from youtube like sites.

Here is the link: [addons.mozilla.org]

2192 ratings but still having 5 stars and total downloads: more than 54 MILLION! wow!

But it's official website says like this: "With some exceptions, downloaded videos must be kept on your disk for personal use and are not to be shown on other websites." for personal use.... but how come you can download if downloading itself is against TOS?! hahaha Okay, why do I trust this Video DownloadHelper ? Because it traces the place from which the video streams (eg: [v15.lscache2.c.youtube.com]) since Youtube 'downloads' the content, downloading from it's direct link does work.

Well, even if youtube is 100% against downloading, it would have done something like dailymotion (when you download from dailymotion, you'd get an error after 99% every time! @#$%&! Waste of time!

Since I don't use P2P, I don't enable 'block http' option. But yesterday when I enabled that option while downloading a video, my cute peerblock (yeah, I <3 my peerblock! Good job guys!) blocked many media oriented sites like Turner Broadcasting Systems Inc, Warner Bros. Records Inc, Lions Gate Entertainment Corporation, Gannett Media Technologies International, Public Broadcasting Service, The Jim Henson Company and others like World Wide Web Consortium (?!), Inktomi Corporation, BBC, IBM etc.

It even blocks (even now) McAfee Inc. and Savvis (My McAfee Siteadvisor uses it I think). Allowed million times. But still blocking. Note: I did allow PERMANENTLY.

I'm not downloading today. But I get other stuffs like United Nations (!), Internet Security Systems, Commission of European Communities DG XIII, Internet Security Systems, Elseviers Science Publishers, Bell Laboratories/Lucent Technologies, and other random $H#t$.

Why?! Even if I google search Jim Henson Company etc., it is blocking. But at that time, I didn't even search/load their websites. Are they watching me? I'm afraid. Help me... :'(

Even now, I didn't even search BBC. Just opened this peerblock forums. why is it blocking BBC? How come is detecting it?! Is BBC sorta linked with this forum? winking smiley LOL

Sorry for such a biiiiiiig post! grinning smiley
Re: Can anti-piracy badguys spy even if you download YOUTUBE videos/movies?!?!?
January 30, 2010 03:51PM
Heya Sr. Anonymouse!

No worries, some of us here are used to reading long-winded posts! Regarding to your question. Since you've used various online services, chances are they have required you to install some of their stuffs into your computer before you can use their services. So I wouldn't be suprise if the services you've used are attempting to possibly check for update or send information out.

Don't be afraid! Most of these evil attempts are thwarted by PeerBlock. Perhaps you should try using SpyBot Search & Destroy to scan your computer once. I don't know any other good software. Perhaps someone else here can recommend you good software.
hahhaa thanks for replying. I'm not a noob, I know a lot about computer security and stuffs. Even by reading my post, you might have understood! smiling smiley In fact, none uses sites like Warner Bros. Records Inc to update, isn't it? winking smiley tongue sticking out smiley Well, as I've already said, SiteAdvisor may use Savvis and so, I've allowed permanently. And no update was going. Unlike WOT, you need to allow to use. UN and European Community -> no way smiling bouncing smiley), since I'm not using any IBM product, Internet Security Systems is not linked. Elseviers Science Publishers -> as the name says, it is publishing company. Bell labs is a research and development organization. Nothing relevant to updates and my software use their own sites to update and not other irrelevant sites. LOL And may be, I've listed more software (actually checking sites and need not download).. But I don't use everything. Just WOT and SiteAdvisor. And regarding Spybot S&D, it is not a good app nowadays unfortunately. Out-dated security app. Use Avast or Avira (both have good free versions and are having both anti-spyware (from version 9 in avira) and anti-virus). Want a separate programme for anti-spyware? Use SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. Since they are not having any real-time scanning (just for on-demand scanning -> freeware) you can use both. Even in avast, enable web shield (Avira is not having web scanner) and disable others. Now you can use Avira's realtime scanner. Nothing will happen. But while you on-demand scan with Avast (Avast 5 is rocking and Virus Bulletin, one of the most trusted testing sites is also very much pleased. Hope it'll also shine well in av-comparatives smiling smiley), disable realtime scanner in avira and enable avast's (well, don't surf at that time if you can) Firewall? Comodo is excellent! Use with defense+ to get full benefits. smiling smiley But at last, you didn't answer my question: "Can anti-piracy badguys spy even if you download YOUTUBE videos/movies"

Since peerblock is blocking by siteadvisor program and most of the websites, I'm not gonna 'block http' Well, I'm not gonna use p2p file sharing too. So guess I won't get into any trouble! smiling smiley Only thing I'm afraid is downloading youtube videos. Understood? smiling smiley

Update: Hey! Do you get all these irrelevant sites (and also relevant sites) while surfing with 'block http' option enabled? Just wondering. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 04:33PM by Sr.Anonymouse.
January 30, 2010 04:56PM
Heya.

Ah, I thought you answered your own question from that post. I must've misunderstood.

Frankly speaking... I'm sorry for making your more paranoid, but yes, there is a possibility of bad guys spying on you. There are various methods of spying on users. One would be to have something installed on your computer and have data sent to them. Second would be to play the nice guy and let users download from them, and have this transacton/event logged and written down (in this case YouTube provider). Third would be to hijack/sniff the connection inbetween you and the server you're downloading from. Fourth is that your ISP is logging your activity and gives out your activity when requested by certain parties.

So good thumb of rule is that... There is no privacy once you enter the cyberworld. Hell, if you have enough willpower and luck, you could even find out the background history of that good looking lady on the otherside of the street that got dumped by her 5-year younger boyfriend with reason being the boyfriend losing interest having a relationship with an older woman.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 04:59PM by Tippy.
anti-piracy guys don't concentrate on youtube.com and others (may be, upload: yes, download? no!) I didn't answer. Just made it clear. And how come they trace me?! If I'm using another software or website to download, there might be a chance. But from the direct link... None in between. No! Never!

"One would be to have something installed on your computer and have data sent to them. " nothing installed. So, no!

"Second would be to play the nice guy and let users download from them, and have this transaction/event logged and written down (in this case YouTube provider). " Many and many watch/download from youtube like sites. If you are using P2P thingy, your ISP can easily find. But since youtube like sites actually download, ISPs may think like this: oh! they are watching way too much youtube videos! (note the word 'watch' instead of 'download') It's that much simple! You are seeing a lot of guys fined and legally charged by downloading from piratebay, kaaza, limewire and other P2P things. But none has been caught downloading from youtube like sites. May, be downloading is against the TOS. But practically, it is not a problem. Well, youtube did take actions against techcrunch, one of the famous technology sites. It provided a free download app but sad smiley Read this: [www.techcrunch.com]

But what can you say about this public propaganda: [www.orbitdownloader.com]

" Orbit Downloader is the most popular YouTube Downloader chosen by millions of people. "

"Orbit Downloader's Grab Pro break YouTube's anti-leeching technology. Never miss YouTube using Orbit Downloader as YouTube downloader from now on!"

You can see many and many sites like youtube.com here: [www.orbitdownloader.com]

Its boasts that it can even download videos from dailymotion: [www.orbitdownloader.com]

Somebody having enough guts to try? It uses P2P File sharing!! Blah orbit!!

"Third would be to hijack/sniff the connection inbetween you and the server you're downloading from. "

Hmmm do you mean packet sniffing? Since I'm not using cable modem, there is less chance to be sniffed.

From about.com: "A packet sniffer can only capture packet information within a given subnet. So, its not possible for a malicious attacker to place a packet sniffer on their home ISP network and capture network traffic from inside your corporate network (although there are ways that exist to more or less "hijack" services running on your internal network to effectively perform packet sniffing from a remote location). In order to do so, the packet sniffer needs to be running on a computer that is inside the corporate network as well. However, if one machine on the internal network becomes compromised through a Trojan or other security breach, the intruder could run a packet sniffer from that machine and use the captured username and password information to compromise other machines on the network."

My machine is 100% clean. smiling smiley

"Fourth is that your ISP is logging your activity and gives out your activity when requested by certain parties. "

I'm having excellent security and my ISP is also not wicked. I know. smiling smiley And nobody faced such 'law enforcement' by downloading youtube videos. May be, anti-piracy guys may concentrate more on non p2p file-sharing sites like mediafire and rapidshare. But youtube and others? grinning smiley No way!

Didn't answer by update?

"Update: Hey! Do you get all these irrelevant sites (and also relevant sites) while surfing with 'block http' option enabled? Just wondering. smiling smiley"
It also blocks wwe.com by flagging it as 'wwf route', comodo as 'comodo ca' etc so that I'm unable to enble (yeah, play of words! grinning smiley)
In fact, I'm asking on the behalf of my friend. She is so much afraid and so I'm asking. In the above posts, 'I' means 'she' smiling smiley
January 30, 2010 10:52PM
Here's how PeerBlock work:

PeerBlock only blocks IP addresses according to what you've set it to block. The blocklists that PeerBlock uses are not maintained by PeerBlock, but by the other people that has deemed the IP address suitable to be in the blocklists. Different blocklists suit different people. Some doesn't like to have anything to do with chinese may use China blocklist, for instance. So if you're using a lot of lists, then it is natural for you to keep getting blocks (by both "relevant and irrevelant" sites). To sum it all up, you may be using too many lists that hinder your activities.

If your computer is clean yet PeerBlock blocks unwanted connection attempts, it may be people trying to connect to you. For these you can't do anything, but just ignore them. It's not like they will stop trying to connect to you if you send them an email and say "please".
From FAQ: "14. Something I need to access is blocked! What can I do?

Sometimes the IP addresses programs need to connect to may end up on one of the blocklists you've configured PeerBlock to use. This can cause software to not download new updates, Windows Update to no longer work, programs to lose connectivity to the internet, etc. Luckily this is easy to fix!

What you'll need to do first is to identify the IP address(es) to which your software needs to connect. For example, let's say you have a program that needs to connect to the Internet when it starts up, but that program is not working. Open the main PeerBlock window, and then start up your problematic program. In the PeerBlock window you should see some blocked IP addresses logged; right-click on these IP-addresses and select "Allow"! You can temporarily allow them for 15 minutes or 1 hour, or you can allow them permanently.

Your "Permanent Allow List" can be edited later by going into the List Manager, selecting the "Permanent Allows" list (lists\permallow.p2b), then clicking the "Open List" button."

Done several times but now it works! smiling smiley

She uses Level 1 blocklist from I-Blocklist (http://www.iblocklist.com/list.php?list=bt_level1) and the author is Bluetack (same as PeerGuardian's!) Why are they blocking comodo, a well known security software vendor, wwe.com, a simulated wrestling sport etc?! And while enabling 'block http' do you get more irrelevant sites (a.k.a sites you didn't browse?) Just wondering. smiling smiley

And Tippy ..... You rock! Thanks for your awesome support. smiling smiley If you say whether you are getting more irrelevant sites (a.k.a sites you didn't browse?) it'd be nice! smiling smiley
January 31, 2010 12:05AM
As mentioned about the list, people at PeerBlock has nothing to do with the content and IP addresses that appears in the blocklists. You'd have to ask the people that maintains it, in this case it'd be Bluetack.

About am I getting more blocks with "block http" -enabled. Yes, I am getting more blocks when I'm surfing the websites with this feature enabled. Irrevelant or not, I can't tell the difference unless I go to the site that I absolutely know. It does make me feel safe from bad virus/spyware/adware websites whenever it is blocking.
January 31, 2010 12:53AM
with http dis-abled everything on ports 80 and 441 are NOT checked thus NEVER blocked, with http ENABLED peerblock will check as normal and block ip's that are within your lists.

so yes with http enabled you will get more blocks.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
fxm
January 31, 2010 09:31AM
brandonjm8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> with http dis-abled everything on ports 80 and 441

ITYM 443.
January 31, 2010 03:16PM
fxm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> brandonjm8 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > with http dis-abled everything on ports 80 and
> 441
>
> ITYM 443.

oops winking smiley,

thanks for the minor correction, my memory aint the best but i was close lol.

http= port 80 + 443, affirmative.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
80 = http & https = 443! That much simple! grinning smiley And guys, can you help me? Please download a single video file from youtube.com (especially like [name of the movie] part 1, 2, etc -> movie files n not music files) with the help of download helper and say whether those media dudes' ips are blocked by PeerBlock. I'll be grateful. smiling smiley Thanks! smiling smiley

She used that download helper because it is one of the Mozilla's hand picked (recommended) addons. She uses many of the recommended addons including WOT - Safe Browsing Tool , Flagfox, CyberSearch, etc.

Here is the link: [addons.mozilla.org]

Once again I'm saying, I'd be very very very grateful if you reply this. smiling smiley

"As mentioned about the list, people at PeerBlock has nothing to do with the content and IP addresses that appears in the blocklists. You'd have to ask the people that maintains it, in this case it'd be Bluetack. " This is what I've already said but PB and PG 'does' recommend Bluetack, especially level 1 for P2P.. smiling smiley

"It does make me feel safe from bad virus/spyware/adware websites whenever it is blocking." Is BBC a malicious website? winking smiley grinning smiley Just joking! grinning smiley
January 31, 2010 07:28PM
If PeerBlock blocks BBC website, then yes, it is a malicious website. If PeerBlock blocks international Red Cross organization, then they are also malicious. If PeerBlock blocks me from accessing the neighbours, then the neighbours are also malicious. If PeerBlock blocks tetris-related websites... I'll just add that to temporary allow list =P.

I'm afraid I won't be testing that because I don't use downloadhelper add-on. Perhaps someone here that does use the mentioned add-on may help answer your question.

Pointing at this page (link: [www.peerblock.com] ). Anyway! As I mentioned before, your friend does NOT NEED to be afraid if PeerBlock keeps logging activity. It is very normal. It has been noticed that PeerBlock blocks more for other people than it blocks for some other people. Since your friend is lives somewhere around your reach, it'll be much more reliable for you to test it yourself than ask someone who may be living in another country to test it.
"If PeerBlock blocks BBC website, then yes, it is a malicious website. If PeerBlock blocks international Red Cross organization, then they are also malicious. If PeerBlock blocks me from accessing the neighbours, then the neighbours are also malicious. If PeerBlock blocks tetris-related websites... I'll just add that to temporary allow list =P. "

Cool! United Nations, National Institution of Standards and Technology, US Department of Justice, New York Transits Authority, National Library of Medicine, State of Tennessee, etc all are malicious? winking smiley grinning smiley Well, Thanks. smiling smiley Tetris? Do you like puzzles? smiling smiley So you are not from US? winking smiley haha Yeah, I've also tested in my PC and get nearly same results. She is my best friend, wouldn't I test first? smiling smiley As I'm not having any 'experience' before, I'm requesting you. smiling smiley And we don't download torrents. smiling smiley
February 01, 2010 12:53AM
didnt ya hear? everyones a spy nowadays winking smiley lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login