Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not sure what this implies

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Not sure what this implies
February 02, 2010 03:49PM
Hi all,

I've been using PeerBlock for a while now, and I've just noticed today a whole bunch of stuff coming up that I dont think I've seen before and wanted to check out what the consequences might be.

It looks like I'm getting probed every couple of minutes by various people, such as aQuantive, Cinncinatti Bell Technology Solutions, Undercover Records, MediaSentry and Military Advantage amongst others.

Peer Block says theyre blocked (which I suppose is good), but I wanted to check what this repeated probing was likely to indicate.
Any thoughts would be really welcome as I'm a touch prone to paranoia and I'm kinda panicking at the moment.

Cheers, Shinju
Re: Not sure what this implies
February 02, 2010 04:04PM
Heya Shinju.

There are various possibilities why you're being probed. One would be that these people are conducting random probing on random IP addresses. Another would be that you've left some sort of digital trail for them to try to follow on you. Since PeerBlock is blocking these probing attempts, you should be doing ok having your privacy kept intact. Give it some time and the probing attempts will surely go down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2010 04:04PM by Tippy.
Anonymous User
February 02, 2010 04:37PM
Ok cool, that sounds pretty reassuring, thanks.

Anyone else want to weigh in?
February 02, 2010 05:07PM
Tough to definitively state what these connections are.  Are they incoming or outgoing?  (Meaning is your IP address in the source or destination column?)  If incoming, are they all coming in a particular port, maybe one you'd set up a P2P app to use?  The Microsoft tool TcpView can help you figure out which program is attempting to connect to a particular IP address.

In any case, PeerBlock is blocking these connections, which should be a good thing.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login