Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can Someone Explain How ISP Can Track Bittorrent Traffic?

Posted by njtechguy 
Can Someone Explain How ISP Can Track Bittorrent Traffic?
February 09, 2010 09:31PM
A friend got a copyright violation from Verizon FIOS regarding a video someone on his home network torrented. He asked me to explain "how they knew". While I understand how BT works, and P2P in general, I'm not sure how to explain in layman's terms how Verizon "knows" that a particular video file was downloaded via BT to one of his computers. I know that BT typically works on non-standard ports, but can Verizon tell a BT packet from a packet carrying something else? Is it not Verizon that "knew" but perhaps a monitoring agency that got into the swarm and saw his IP address? He's really paranoid now, thinking that Verizon is spying on him and watching all his traffic. I want to reassure him, but am not sure what to tell him without getting too technogeeky. Any ideas? Thanks!
Re: Can Someone Explain How ISP Can Track Bittorrent Traffic?
February 10, 2010 12:10AM
they can track it if they are doing any type of Packet SHaping, or QOS on there network. but 99% of the time the ISP doesn't care as long as you pay your bill. what happens is people are out there checking sites and trackers, then they see what users are full seeders, and then report the IP addresses to the ISP, then they have to lock you down and tell you

This is my Signature!
February 14, 2010 03:26PM
You won't find this unless you download the divers from your phone to your computer but every Verizon Wireless phone has something called Mal Trace a tracing software (as the name suggests), to pick up bits of information and relay it back to the government. I'm assuming that Verizon Fios has something similar. Also if your downloading a lot or uploading a lot that will attract attention from Verizon if its more than a standard user might use. Think of it this way your using Verzion's connection which costs them money, the less you use it the more they make, someone uploading or downloading a lot on a connection is costing them more than you might be spending to acquire the service. As to how they knew what exactly they were downloading most likely ss18 suggested a packet shaping. There is software you can download to monitor packets to see if there opened by the your ISP as well. Might want to suggest that if he plans on continuing, after he can try to find a program that allows only the recipient of the package to open it.

Licensed Health Insurance Broker In California
Blocking Attempts to Take Away My Privacy & Freedom
February 15, 2010 12:50PM
@ShanHikari : I would be interested to know what those software are that you mentioned -

"There is software you can download to monitor packets to see if there opened by the your ISP as well. Might want to suggest that if he plans on continuing, after he can try to find a program that allows only the recipient of the package to open it."

Thanks.
February 15, 2010 05:35PM
@Joiwind

Good God where to begin.

Well the first step would be to see if your packets are being sniffed, and yes they are. This can be done with many different software free and paid for. Example, Port Explorer 2.2 detects packets being shaped, edited etc. There are also better one that do something called DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) which captures all network traffic in and out through your ISP.

Ok so you know your logged and sniffed what now?

Different routes depending on what level your willing to go through to get around it.

If its my home computer I'll jump through hoops to keep it secure, if its my laptop, well that goes to appointments I can't wait 10min for every little bit to load as I'm saying to my client "oh see all this, this is to protect myself from our government, lets play count the packets while we wait!. That wouldn't go to well...

VPN (Virtual Private Network) encrypts data sent from your computer through an ISP is sniffed but its encrypted with the recipients address in mind so they can only open the packet. Works with torrenting but a pain to set up... This will not allow you to by-pass speed that is set by the ISP, there is software that can do that though, but its also pricey. I use a VPN through Japan, not slow either.

Anti-Packet Sniffing Software (yea creative name) helps stop packet sniffing, remember nothings 100%, (yet!), Packet Sniffer SDK VLC Edition, Anti Netcut 2.0, EtherDetect Packet Sniffer, Universal IIS Anti-Leech Dog 5.0.

Okay ya know your sniffed, you've learned its expensive, the programs are a pain to use and there's mass confusion and internet is slow and all, now what?

Configure it all to your ISP and let that stuff run. You'll have to play with it to get it to work, but once you got it its fun to see what they try to sniff and can't.

And we continue...
Then for the more advance there's a little something called tunneling proxy's which directly "tunnel" through HTTP and SSH to their destined source. I won't commit on it much since err well -cough- its um ya know...

I condone none of the above software but used it for research purposes, any downloading, use or catastrophically destruction of your computer, internet connection or police knocking on your door will solely not be arbitrated to any advice given on a forum, nor do I suggest that I use any such software, have used software or know what the word "software even means"

Okay I feel my rear is more covered now...
Hope that helps, sorry didn't post links for anything since it would be advertising. But a simple Google search works fine I'm sure XD

February 22, 2010 04:47AM
Word to the wise about ShanHikari's post:
Be VERY wary of 'anti packet sniffing' software and 'privacy protecting' software, about 75% easy of those are in fact trojans and fake, and that's real trojan and fakes, and not the conspiracy nut imagined kind smiling smiley
Look at the sites a siteblocklist has, many are 'freeprivacytool.cn' and such nonsense and there are thousands.
Even when such software works somewhat there;s a real risk you get something with a backdoor in it, use your brain and check for the reputation of those offering such stuff.
February 22, 2010 05:21PM
@Nitty

That's why I didn't condone any of the above and posted the warning since I know that a lot of those programs are Trojans. Its actually hard to find a program that isn't one since its an injection. Best is to build your own XD and go from there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Guests: 215 on November 08, 2012