Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

utorrent 2.0 and Peerblock using excess CPU

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
utorrent 2.0 and Peerblock using excess CPU
February 13, 2010 06:59PM
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the dramatic increase in CPU resource use as more and more folks upgrade to utorrent 2.0? I suspect the new udp feature is the culprit but no proof.

I ask since prior to 2.0 release the general CPU rate for PeerGuardian 2 or PeerBlock was 2-3% of overall. It is now pretty consistant at 22-24% This is a 10 fold increase and was wondering if there is anyone looking at this?

Not really an issue for Peerblock, but maybe something to be looked into
Re: utorrent 2.0 and Peerblock using excess CPU
February 14, 2010 03:09AM
i have seen no such problem and use uTorrent 2.0 all the time

This is my Signature!
February 14, 2010 04:07AM
less downloads = less CPU for utorrent
less ips do to less downloading with the GUI closed = less CPU on peerblock.
Anonymous User
February 14, 2010 07:31PM
It depends the amount your torrenting and from where your threads are coming from but obviously the more seeds your connecting to the more IPs its going to accept/reject increasing the CPU usage. If you want to use less then limit the download rate or upload rate in Utorrent preferences. Also you can have peerblock not log information that will lower its CPU usage as well, though it minimal anything helps right. Also make sure that you have it set to delete your tracks since its taking up space to access the history. If you want it permanently deleted you can also route it through SpyBot Search & Destroy Secure Shredder.
February 26, 2010 04:38AM
Yes, the biggest performance hit we see with the current versions (both Beta and Stable) of PeerBlock is actually related to how we update the "recent blocks" list in the main PeerBlock window.  This is one reason we'd defaulted to displaying only the first 9 allowed connections before stopping - logging all those allowed connections was killing our performance.  If you minimize the PeerBlock window to e.g. the system-tray you should see it consume much less CPU time.

This is Issue #79, and is currently being looked into by scrog69.

Other than that there are potentially some other things we could do to block these connections on a per-stream basis instead of per-packet, but that's likely going to be a moderate amount of work so isn't likely going to happen in the short-term.

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
March 10, 2010 09:20PM
I really don't get why you show those 9 when "show allowed connections" options is disabled.
March 11, 2010 01:02AM
we have it show the first 10 hard-coded in so that you see that it is working properly, PB that is. in the future we will be implementing an auto-ping feature to replace this to make sure every time you run PB it is working properly, get it?

Life is like a box of chocolates................................umm chocolate, yummy grinning smiley
May 06, 2010 02:36AM
Not really. If the user wants to verify its working then he/should should turn on "show allowed connections" option then.

Though yes the first time its installed show the first 10, but only the first time.

I think that is better personally.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login