Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dedicated IP Blocker vs Malwarebytes

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Dedicated IP Blocker vs Malwarebytes
March 10, 2010 07:28PM
Hello, and congrats on PeerBlock.

"Odd" smiling smiley but I was referred here by someone who seemed a very high ranked forum user over at PeerGuardian2. I guess without sticking my nose too far into the politics behind it all I am just assuming that there were some disgruntled fans of PeerGuardian2 who thought it lacked some functionality so have taken matters into their own hands?

Any way I wish you guys all the best and have one tiny question. I am a partner in a small "data security" (mostly AV software) distribution company, so we're all about pushing low resource usage/ small footprint AV's and we're looking to promote and recommend an IP blocker on our site. Currently myself and a few of the guys are running Malwarebytes over an extended time to evaluate it functionality, including its IP blocker.

Can someone please offer up some free advice as to weather Malwarebytes IP blocker is enough on its own or of it is necessary to run a dedicated IP blocker such as PeerBlock, and if so, why?

Thanks Again, and all the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 07:29PM by monroe002.
Re: Dedicated IP Blocker vs Malwarebytes
March 10, 2010 11:50PM
Hey well Mark our main devs was board and so here we are.
March 11, 2010 12:30AM
Hi monroe002, and welcome to our forums!

As per our What is PeerBlock's relationship with the old PeerGuardian program? FAQ, the original PeerGuardian2 code was abandoned a few years ago.  I originally started up PeerBlock just to mess around with the source since it wasn't working well on my new nifty Win7 machine, really had no idea it would take off like it has!  winking smiley  But yes, the folks over at Phoenix Labs seem to think pretty highly of our little project here - in fact, the main page of their site even has a post by PG2's original developer urging people to check us out.  We're all friends here!

I don't have any experience with Malwarebytes IP Blocker, so can't really speak too much to it.  From a quick Google however, it's unclear exactly what they block.  The lists PeerBlock uses are pretty open, such that you can easily see what's blocked by them all . . . and there are many different lists available for you to choose from, for many different uses.  You can block hackers, adware/spyware, anti-p2p, pedophiles, spammers, entire countries; all sorts of stuff.  PeerBlock also makes it pretty easy (we think) to permanently/temporarily allow various IP addresses.

Does Malwarebytes IP Blocker block IP addresses regardless of source/destination port?  The info I found in Google seems to imply that it's HTTP based only, but I could be mistaken there.  Will hafta check it out myself at some point for a frame of reference.

In any event, hope that helps,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
March 11, 2010 02:44AM
From my experience, there is no way to configure the IP addresses in the free MalwareBytes.

It might do in the paid one but it probably won't be as good.
Anonymous User
March 11, 2010 04:21PM
Much appreciate the feedback Mark.

...and sorry, I should have nosed around for some back ground on PeerBlock before asking my questions.

Also, in my very limited knowledge of IP Blockers, I do believe you are right, Malwarebytes IP Blocker is only HTTP based.

Thanks again for the advice fellas, we'll keep in touch on all happenings with PeerBlock.

Reagrds.
Anonymous User
March 18, 2010 08:42AM
I believe you are spot on my friend. You have to buy the fully functional real time protection of Malwarebytes. I've been using the free version for quite a while keep it on a USB and in my pocket. Cleaned a lot of friends machines with it. I'm adding PeerBlock to that USB as well. Good job guys! Seriously! Keep those nosy little nasties at bay. They'll trade assault rifles for for blood money and then stick their collective nose in my business?! Lyndon LaRouche for President! HAHAHAaaaa.
Good question.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login