Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hello from a beginner, PB won't block what I ask

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Hello from a beginner, PB won't block what I ask
June 12, 2010 12:51PM
Hello all from a newbody and thanks for your time.
Can you help me understand why I keep getting hit with ip's that start with "2002:... and have an unknown protocol". When I choose to block them peerblock evidently refuses to do so. Am I mistaking this as an "attack"when in fact it is benign?
I thank you
Re: Hello from a beginner, PB won't block what I ask
June 12, 2010 01:28PM
Hi Pepto, and welcome to the forums!

IP addresses like that are IPv6 packets, and PeerBlock doesn't yet handle IPv6.  It's on our list of things to do, but we're not there yet.  Issue #189 tracks the enhancement for IPv6 support.  If you're interested in this feature you should "Star" it - we use the number of Stars as an indication of what our users are most interested in.  This will also send you notification as we start to work on an issue, generate test builds that include that feature, etc.

Hope that helps,

---  Mark  ---

Lead developer of PeerBlock
Anonymous User
June 12, 2010 02:13PM
Thank you for the reply. I suspect I'm out of place asking but Peerblock, like a firewall I once had(old mcafee), showed me the "hits", incoming and more importantly to my mind the outgoing info. .Information that alarmed me without knowing what it was or how to use it. Similarly, Peerblock shows me I'm under constant attack.
Why are people from china, "asia pacific....etc. hitting me and why? Do I have something they want? Should I worry about them? Can I use Peerblock to make them leave me alone?
Thank you
June 12, 2010 06:07PM
Heya pepto.

If machines keep connecting to you, it's most likely due to constant web browsing. If it's your machine connecting to them, it's most likely you have software or applications that are attempting to connect to the internet. I'd say you wouldn't need to worry since PeerBlock is already making connection establishment impossible.

Can you use PeerBlock to make them leave you alone? I'm afraid it's like same as asking in restaurant world for bouncers to make drunk customers leave the restaurant alone. Once in a while there is bound to be a drunk customer trying to get in stubbornly (albeit with failed attempt). So... No, you can't make them leave you alone.
Anonymous User
June 12, 2010 06:39PM
I was hopin' for more assurance but what I get is that I'm not being singled out, for that I thank you.
The more I try to escape the more complicated it becomes. Perhaps it be best if I relax, dip into the pool once in a while, and hope I'm not too obvious.
Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login