Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

road runner copyright infringement notice

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
road runner copyright infringement notice
October 24, 2010 05:11PM
I received this notice today and had to click on this link (I am aware of this issue and will take steps to resolve it.) to regain access to my internet.

I didn't want to click on the link and acknowledge anything, but they basically hijacked my browser and internet connection...any new page I opened up would only take me to the notice page, so I reluctantly clicked on it to gain access to my internet again.

Am I screwed because I clicked on the link?

What has happened with others who have received this notice from Time/Warner (Los Angeles) and continued to use file sharing...did they receive multiple notices before the internet provider canceled your service...anyone actually been sued because of this notice from Road Runner specifically?

If I change internet service provider, can I start downloading and sharing files again without being tracked?

Am I never gonna be able to pick up soap again?

Copyright Infringement Notice, MPAA

I am aware of this issue and will take steps to resolve it.

Dear Subscriber:

This notice is being sent to you by Road Runner Customer Care because we have received a
complaint that your computer has been used to distribute copyrighted material without authorization
through a peer-to-peer program. A copy of the complaint is attached below,and a more detailed
version containing information about the specific copyrighted file(s) has been emailed to you.

Please direct any relevant questions or concerns to the contact in the attached message.
Distribution of copyrighted material in this fashion may violate both copyright laws and Road
Runner’s terms of service.

Thank you for subscribing to Road Runner.

Very truly yours,

Road Runner Customer Care

FOLLOWING IS THE COMPLAINT FROM THE COPYRIGHT OWNER (OR ITS AGENT):

You are being contacted on behalf of the Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA)* and
one or more of its member companies. You are receiving this notice because your Internet account
was identified as having been used recently to copy illegally and/or distribute the copyrighted
movies and/or television shows listed at the bottom of this letter. This notice provides you with
the information you need in order to take immediate action that can prevent serious legal and other
consequences. These actions include:

1. Stop downloading or uploading any film or TV shows owned or distributed by any MPAA member
studio or its affiliates without authorization; and

2. Permanently delete from your computer(s) all unauthorized copies you may have already made of
these movies and TV shows.

The illegal downloading and distribution of copyrighted works are serious offenses that carry with
them the risk of substantial monetary damages and, in some cases, criminal prosecution.

Copyright infringement also violates your Internet Service Provider’s terms of service and could
lead to limitation or suspension of your Internet service.

An MPAA website, www.respectcopyrights.org, offers step-by-step instructions to ensure that your
Internet account is not being used to violate the copyright laws. The site also can point you to
an array of legal choices for enjoying movies and TV shows online. You can also learn there how
movie theft damages our economy and costs thousands of Americans their jobs.

If, after visiting www.respectcopyrights.org you still have questions, or if you believe you have
received this notice in error, you may contact the MPAA by email at Graduated.Response@mpaa.org or
by calling 818-935-5860. In your voicemail or the subject line of your email, please cite the
Reference ID which can be found in the email sent to your RR account. You should take immediate
action to prevent your Internet account from being used for illegal activities and to enjoy movies
and TV programs legally.

Sincerely,

Motion Picture Association of America

* This letter is not a complete statement of the copyright owners’ rights in connection with this
matter, and nothing contained herein constitutes an express or implied waiver of any rights,
remedies or defense of the copyright owners, all of which are expressly reserved. MPAA members
include: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures; Paramount Pictures Corporation; Sony Pictures
Entertainment Inc.; Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation; Universal City Studios LLP; and Warner
Bros. Entertainment Inc.

I am aware of this issue and will take steps to resolve it.
Anonymous User

October 27, 2010 09:49AM
RoadRunner doesn't do that forced "get your access back" ploy so that means
you were tricked by somebody else and it was probably illegal.

Show me that link they gave you so that I can prevent further browser hijacking.

Do not contact the MPAA or anybody other than your ISP because any contact
with the others will just invite them to pester you to buy them off.
Anonymous User
Re:  Roadrunner CIN (Copyright Infringement Notice)
October 29, 2010 07:44PM
Fatbottoms, I received the same notice back in August. It is legitimate, I called my ISP and lost my mind on them (lol) they turned my Internet back on but I had to agree to the notice (clicking on the link). I am prepared to live the "fight" and have continued to use P2P programs and will continue to as well. I just changed my strategy for doing so. I installed the Peer block program and am now using a proxy server in combo. I have not received any further contact from them and have been enjoying myself.

Good luck and check into getting onto a proxy server, using Peer block or any other IP blocking program is not 100% but adding a proxy server will put your chances of getting caught down to "almost" 0.

Good luck.
Re: road runner copyright infringement notice
November 06, 2010 04:15AM
Should have simply called your ISP and said you have no idea what they are talking about. None!

Simply act like you do not even know what p2p, a router, www, youtube, etc. even is.

And tell them to turn it back on as they are breaking their own user agreement.

If your ISP states the letter is real then you state back to them that they are infringing on your privacy rights and that you want to speak to a supervisor. Explain the situation and you should be back online in a minutes.

At not time be mean or unprofessional and never acknowledge anything they claim.

Should work in your favor nicely. If not get a lawyer and sue for invasion of privacy. Most states have a law covering this already in their books. Simply google it my friend!
Anonymous User
copyright infringement notices
January 29, 2011 07:52AM
I got two notices of Copyright Infringement within 5 days - one from Sony and the other from Fox (via email from comcast). I've received 3 notices this year.

I am running peerBlock and can’t figure out why I keep getting these. Maybe it’s because I was briefly turning off my PeerBlock when it wouldn't allow me access to a safe website. (I always paused all dl’s before I did this - running uTorrent 2.0.4.) After my last warnings I no longer employ this practice. Now I open PeerBlock and allow only the site I want access to as per PeerBlock’s User Guide/Allow Lists. I never disable PeerBlock entirely if I am downloading. Also, I am checking for updates more frequently than the lowest available setting of once/day.

Not sure if this will help, but I am also thinking of changing my Internet service provider - beginning to think I am on a “list”. Is this possible? Should I respond to Comcast’s emails w confusion as suggested by WAR59312?

The other thing I noticed is the copyright infringements have all been on movies that I have downloaded either BEFORE the official DVD release date or within a couple of days after its release. Could it be Sony, Fox, etc is looking only for P2P dl’s of recently released - or about to be released - movies?

Will look into what a proxy server is and consider adding this. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
January 29, 2011 08:51AM
PeerBlock does NOT support copyright infringement, and can NOT guarantee 100% protection. [www.peerblock.com]
January 29, 2011 09:40AM
Nevertheless, being on a "list" is not an impossibility. Sadly, we are not able to answer your question how those companies behave when people are downloading various releases. We can only speculate just like what you did.
Anonymous User
January 29, 2011 11:42AM
Yeah - I suppose they aren't going to let their tactics be known -- wondering if anyone else has noticed the trend to only track new releases or screeners.

Can anyone recommend a good proxy server - or are all created equal?
January 29, 2011 06:47PM
lje Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah - I suppose they aren't going to let their
> tactics be known -- wondering if anyone else has
> noticed the trend to only track new releases or
> screeners.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good proxy server - or are
> all created equal?

[btguard.com]
Anonymous User
January 29, 2011 11:15PM
Thanks!
gip
January 31, 2011 06:42AM
say man its working great grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 06:47AM by gip.
January 31, 2011 07:36AM
gip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> say man its working great grinning smiley

Another happy customer. Is that your new signature? Looks great.
gip
February 02, 2011 01:05PM
your new win7vista is lookin good
Anonymous User
May 05, 2011 07:53AM
I just received the same message from Time Warner. I clicked on the "I am aware of this issue and will take steps to resolve it" link, to restore my internet connection. This has to be directly from Time Warner.

No one else has the power to actually block your internet connection. Not sure what to do! I thought the whole purpose to using PeerBlock was to prevent the ISP from gaining access to P2P activity! PeerBlock is obviously NOT doing what it's supposed to do. Why use it, if it's not going to work? What does a Proxy Server do? How does it work, and is it free to get one? Any suggestions would help!
Thanks!!
May 05, 2011 10:00AM
skipperj

I just received the same message from Time Warner. I clicked on the "I am aware of this issue and will take steps to resolve it" link, to restore my internet connection. This has to be directly from Time Warner.

PeerBlock does NOT support copyright infringement, and can NOT guarantee 100% protection. when committing piracy. [www.peerblock.com]

No one else has the power to actually block your internet connection. Not sure what to do! I thought the whole purpose to using PeerBlock was to prevent the ISP from gaining access to P2P activity! PeerBlock is obviously NOT doing what it's supposed to do. Why use it, if it's not going to work? What does a Proxy Server do? How does it work, and is it free to get one? Any suggestions would help!
Thanks!!

PeerBlock is doing what it's suppose to be doing. PeerBlock does NOT encourage or support copyright infringement. Please read this [forums.peerblock.com]
May 06, 2011 06:57AM
Oh bother suppose people don't read much any more... [forums.peerblock.com]
Anonymous User
September 15, 2011 03:36AM
I got this notice as well, ignored it pretty much, loaded Peerblock, clicked the button.
A year later I get another notice, this time I have to call them to get my internet back.
A week later, another notice. Now they say I've downloaded the movie Tango. <<< never heard of it.

Hate this ISP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login